BYYB Forums

Full Version: Got my plans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Weekender plans and DVDs arrived today and now I will take the next few days to pour over them looking at the details. I will change some of it to suit but hope to remain as faithful to the boat as possible. I already know it will have a different tabernackle setup and unstayed mast to suit my exisiting balanced lug rig for the main. I will be making a smaller jib as needed to balance thngs. I will go with a tiller over the wheel and not build the lazerate. Other then that, things should be about the same. A very pretty boat that we look forward to making. Here in the North it is cold in my unheated garage so I will start by cutting things out and waiting until mid April to start putting it together. If all goes well, launch day will be mid June. I will start a webpage/blog and post here so interested people can follow along.
Wait till April?! Yeah right, you'll have things moved into the living room long before then. Glad to hear you got your plans, you've got a great project ahead of you. Be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here for us all to watch the progress.

Keith
Congratulations on your plans Ryerson, I agree with Keith, once you start making parts You will have to put them together Big Grin
Good luck with Your build definetly take lots of pictures so we can watch your build.
Brian.
Well, the inclination maybe to put them together, but the space is unheated except for what the house bleeds (stays about -4C) so it stays below freezing this time of year. I could put temporary heat in, but then I would have to put the truck in the yard and at -25 to -40C these next few months, isn't worth it. All fun Smile
I thought it was cold here, Burrrr![Image: cold.gif]
I think the oil in your block might freeze if left outdoors Big Grin

Brian.
You should build an ice sailer, you might get to use it more! -40C, I can't even imagine that kind of cold. I don't know what would be worse the temp or listening to the women complaining about it.
Keep in mind that you can tent your parts and toss a ceramic heater under the tent while the glue dries. I've used electric blankets for cold weather gluing as well, put the parts together and wrap 'em up. I don't know how well it would work in -40C though, the cord on the blanket would probably freeze up and crack. It was 15F in Atlanta this morning but it warmed up to the 40's. This weekend we're expecting 60's again.

Keith
Ryerson, don't scare our southern neighbours too much. :lol: Our -40 isn't all too frequent, in the winter we average -15 to -30 usually. I'll help you put a block heater in your vehicle. Then the boat shed can be free for building. I have some electric, and propane portable heaters to warm the shop if needed. You could also build some sub assemblies in my heated shop.

Greg
Thats what I did, I used a portable car port and walled it in with tarps. and I use a propane heater it works great use a ceramic heater when I am not out there for the glue set up though. Keith if I used the electric blanket for the boat the wife would kill me in my sleep [Image: 22_yikes.gif]

Brian.
Hahahaha. Northern women don't complain about the cold, they just go out and play! Thanks Greg, I have a block heater and hope never to use it. I will take you up on your offer to borrow a heater as spring gets closer though. I can glue small bits up in my heated store room, that will keep me happy Smile
Hi and a belated welcome. I have been in Florida for the last 10 days, without email or internet. We had a big family gathering at Mouseville. No sailing just lots of fantasy, fun and family.

I have had plans for the Weekender for ages. Not even Weekender II just weekender. I may someday build it but am currently building the Triad. It's smaller and a bit easier.

I live in Montana so cold is a concern I currently have also. It is currently 5C here or 41F as we say. I do have a heated shop but use to do my woodworking in one of the garage bays.

Good luck and enjoy the build when you began. I have found great solace in building my little boat so far.