BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lake Mead Calville Bay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After MUCH procrastination on fixing Morgaine's trailer - the work was completed yesterday and she went from:

[Image: IMGP0955.jpg]

to:

[Image: P1030416.sized.jpg]

this is the launch ramp that was CROWDED with bass boats when we came back in - i have never seen so many boats painted like carnival bumper cars (what is with the metallic flake on boats?) !!! and Morgaine's steering broke right at the end of the day while waiting our turn to retrieve her - but here is the sailing stuff --

[Image: IMGP0972.jpg]

this is my friend Teresa -

[Image: P1030414.sized.jpg]

it was windy on and off

[Image: P1030421.sized.jpg]

the island we had lunch on:

[Image: P1030445.sized.jpg]

Morgaine looking cute!

[Image: P1030450.sized.jpg]

[Image: P1030440_001.sized.jpg]

when the wind was light - let let the sail foot out -

[Image: P1030435.sized.jpg]

What FUN! BUt WoW were the winds finicky!!! i THINK i would have been more comfortable with one reef - the only bad part of the day was a guy in a 300k dollar cruiser that blasted pass us and close -- the wake and the wind was enough to really give us the heebie jeebies! What a Jackass --- did i say that? Other than that a fun day - lots of sailing!

a.
Wow Alda, you got the boat out with out me!!!! how rude!!!!

it looks great, over all how did you like sailing on Mead? being the closest to you, except for when you are in walker of course.

the news here is worse than ever. i don't think i will ever get the boat done. but if i do i am thinking of actually naming her skidbaldnir.... you will like looking that name up Adla. i will give you a hint, it is Norse.
Lucky you Adla! I'm looking forward to sailing again soon. It's still a little cool here. Looks like you had a nice day of it.

Keith
i'm sooo wiped out! We just finished dinner and after all the adrenaline of the day ---- i am PpOooOped.

Bill -

i did look up the name ---So cUTe!! You'll get the boat done - i insist!!! Don't make me come down there!!! Actually, i just sent Barnacle Jim a note - asking about Mr. Vern and suggesting another get together!

Keith -

it was cool today in spots but hot in other spots --- overall it was much cooler than it has been. but, the winds were perfect!

Morgaine sailed well - at times really moving fast (it was crazy how fast she was going some of the time) ....but the steering broke again and the rudder kept popping up - 2 things that need rethinking. I may go to the tiller (maybe) but the rudder needs something --- i must have the ropes wrong --- other than that a perfect day - sailed around all the area of the first pic ---- next time we go though, we will skip Calville Bay and drive north an hour to Echo bay ....far fewer bass boats - they were like flys when we left the lake. Apparently everyone tries to get off the lake at the same time :evil: we got lots of compliments ...what a fun day!

a.
Quote: ....but the steering broke again and the rudder kept popping up - 2 things that need rethinking.

How did the steering break? It took several trips to the lake and re-tying/tightning before mine settled down and the it has been fine for the last 4 years.

Are you tying the rudder down or what? I use a cleat screwed to the top of the rudder box - front line holds it down - rear line holds it up. Just used one line looked through the rudder box.

Pretty boat - looks like a great sail!

Go on down to AZ and kick Bill to get him working on the boat - he's just skeered!
She sure looks great Adla! Nice work. Nice photos too, I had forgotton how steep the shore of those canyon lakes are. Yes all the bass bats leave and return at the same time. Most of then fish by the Lunar tables. We even get those idiots out inthe Gulf with those boats. YOu can look out across the water and see only a head bobbing up and down. Its freeky, not to mention being in the Gulf with 6" of freeboard. :lol:
Hi Adla,

Just a thought on your steering woes. When I set mine up I sprayed the pipe that the rope wraps around with contact cement. It gives some grip to the system and I haven't had any problems with steering at all. Just spray the pipe lightly and let it get good and dry before wraping the rope. You can pick up a can of Super 90 by 3M at Home Depot or Lowes and it will do the job for you. Good Luck

Keith
Yo Dudette, good on ya! Sailing those canyon lakes will make you a good sailor, you will learn to read the water much quicker than on open water and will get to where you can see the lifts coming from a mile away. Keep at it. You'll get all the little stuff squared away after a few more trips. Did you notice how much more she kicked up her heels when you let out the outhaul in light air.... you are quick study!

We got blasted by a Nor'eastern last night. Power out most of the night, 8-10 inches on the ground and more coming down. The plow came by earlier, think I will go out and shovel us out before things get all frozen up.
ARRRGH! Spring won't be long now.
Craig et all!

hehehe those are steep canyon walls eh? That is what happens when man makes a lake where there was once just a river. i look forward to sailing on Walker Lake - although the winds are variable on that lake too - it is wide open and less finicky. The bass boats were doing way more bobbing than Morgaine - in hindsight she took the wake and wind that scared me, well. She didn't even get her nose wet (i saw it coming and turned her nose into it). I am waiting to see whether or not i will use the turbo lube hubs on this trailer (it is so ugly and in such crappy shape - it was heartbreaking to put the new axle on it) ... this summer - i am making a new trailer and doing some nice things...including a way to single hand the mast for little gals like myself and an extension for launching without getting the truck wheels wet (really for beach launching at Walker) ...

Richard - yes -the steering broke and i haven't looked at it yet...i am using a smaller diameter pipe that the plans called for so - that is the first thing to consider! I don't know why it gave me fits....i don't find it responsive enough - i can't feel the rudder the way i would like to (i need a bit more control)...

Keith - i have some 3m adhesive spray - if i go with another wheel (the fastest way to get back on the water) i will definately use the spray before wrapping the rope!

Ang --
i am a slow study - :lol: i have been stalking Phil G. and TimTone for years.....pouring over their sailing logs and watching posts on the loose footed sail ..... much of the info doesn't become clear until i am on the water and trying stuff...but YES - letting the foot out in a light wind makes a huge difference! She really moved so fast at times i was blown away!

Well - i am in the same boat as everyone now -- we had a cold front move in yesterday so back to the cold winter (60degrees and sunny) .....

i'll be in my moaning chair :wink:

a.
a couple more pics - hard to get a good shot of the boat sailing while in it -

[Image: P1030417.sized.jpg]

[Image: P1030425.sized.jpg]

leaving a trail of bubbles:

[Image: P1030419.sized.jpg]

[Image: P1030427.sized.jpg]

Lots of fun!

a.
Pages: 1 2 3