BYYB Forums

Full Version: BEER cruise details posted!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is an awesome cruise totally appropriate for our boats. Link goes to the thread with the details: http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/tsbb...ead/605490
I would have liked to make that one Sad . My "new" boat needs a salt water bath :wink: . One of my brothers' daughters is getting married that weekend in Tampa and I've commited to attend. I will make Sailstice at Lake Harwell.
hey Scott, it looks like that link does not work anymore. i was searching their forum and cannot find a confirmed date for BEER 2008. do you know when it is planned or if it is planned yet?

i read you were considering bringing your children so i guess that would rule out crewing again, but Adla had the brilliant idea of just buying some tupperware and using it.
Trailersailor had a problem with their board where they lost a whole bunch of posts including that particular thread. Just post a question on trailersailor about the BEER and you should get plenty of comfirmation. The webpage, which hasn't been updated yet, is http://bellsouthpwp2.net/b/s/bs_allen/beer2006.htm .

Yes, this time the family is coming along. Sorry but I couldn't pass up the great opportunity to use this event as a springboard to get them into cruising. However, you could get a berth on a number of boats with people who remember you from the last BEER cruise!

This year they are taking a bit different route sailing to a cove NE of sand island first, then Navarre, then Quietwater before heading back to the shipyard complex. The cove they identified for the first night has access to the gulf side where we can do some body surfing!!

BTW, I have another idea for you and Adla. I have Michalak's book which has free plans for the 14' mayfly (http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/ma.../index.htm). It is a simple flat-bottomed skiff that you could build rather quickly and would be totally appropriate for this cruise with 8' long cockpit to sleep in and two storage compartments. Be an easier build than the 8' puddleduck racer I built in 2 days for the world championship and probably less than a fiberglass boat. I gave my boat away (after taking the sail and some of the gear) to a father and son and you could probably do the same. Want to borrow my tools and garage?? You could also borrow my flatbed trailer to haul it.

[Image: burtona.jpg]

Or, you could just borrow my 12' Little Gem with sleeping cabin if you take care of her!

[Image: normal_js1024_IMAG0014.jpg]
it looks like the dates are june 6-9 which will more than likely work; i have to be in utah for a wedding on the 13th.

Adla and i bought a 1974 25' mac and are planning on picking it up MLK weekend from LA then tow it to BEER

Scott, what design in Plum Crazy, i am thinking i will build one of those and bring it as well. i remember it being a Bolger design but i can't find the link to order the plans.
Just so others know, Plum Crazy is a 12' dory that I designed and built. With the urging of one of the members of my sailing club and Bill, I do plan on taking lines off of her and coming up with building instructions. She rows like a dream, sails well, and tows wonderfully as a dingy for a larger boat. I plan on bringing her again to the BEER cruise but actually use her this time as a tender for the big boat and entertainment for the kids. A few pictures:
[Image: normal_IMG_2906.JPG]
Purple capped thing on the port side is a daggerboard trunk. There is 8' of floor space so possible to camp-cruise but would probably pull her on shore to sleep in. Two friends of mine using her as a tender to go geocaching.
[Image: normal_IMG_2899.JPG]
Classic dory shape though she is stable enough to stand carefully in. Easy enough to get in and out of from our bigger boat show in the background.
[Image: normal_IMG_2916.JPG] Kinda looks like Bills steering! :twisted:
[Image: sailing.jpg] only picture of her sailing that I have.