BYYB Forums

Full Version: Drawing preservation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BrianRippie

So my drawings are starting to show ware and I’m afraid I am going to start to lose information. The text is already rubbing of from the corners. I call Staples and asked about scanning them into PDF but was told they scan into JPG and then would have to convert. For size D drawings the text is small and JPG is lossy format so I would be suspicious that scanning into JPG then converting to PDF I would lose detail. Not to mention that each side is going to cost $7 so total is going to be $42 + tax. I paid 35 for the drawings.

The other option would be is to just photo copy them at $3 a side ($18 + tax) and put away the originals and only work from copies till they become to beat up, them make more.

So how do you people work around this? Any have a better solution?

Brian
The rule from the Stevensons as I understand it is 1 boat to 1 set of purchased plans.

With that in mind, I actually have three copies - one I take with me to work for when I'm "inspired", one in the workshop, and the original on a bookshelf.
I made copies of mine at work with a 36" copier. Any place that makes blueprints should have one.

Keith
I made a working copy of the Vacationer plans for shop study and planing purposes. Went to Kinko's and they ran them off for me in a couple minutes. Not expensive at all.

James Sanders

Ahoy Brian,

I looked at the plans, ignored what was there.

Some folks finished their boat in 6 months; I'm still working on my boat.
I made copies on a photo coppier for a few bucks and taped them togather then filed the original away. Later I made extras of parts that I wanted to study.
I just laminated the plans and work with them (when I acctually use them)
but I like the idea of copying them I never even gave it a thought.
So how long have you been building your boat Jim?

Brian.
I just worked with the original plans. They show the glue stains and scars, pencil marking, and changes. Kind of a historical document/record of Ginny Rae's creation.

Greg