BYYB Forums

Full Version: Whatya doing???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been quiet around here but hopefully folks have been working on boats. Winter is a great season to hunker down in the workshop, work on your boat, and dream about summer and sailing.

I have finished a centerboard assembly (including trunk) for my 12' catboat "Little Gem" as well as a balanced barndoor rudder. The centerboard has a couple of advantages including residing completely under my sleeping platform, allows for trimming boat balance, and is worry free for shallow draft sailing. The barndoor rudder is traditional and gives me the ability to sail in 6" of water. Just kinda worried because the centerboard is a bit smaller than the daggerboard. Hate to do all of that work just to find out I have screwed up the way she sails.

I also got a stack of plywood with the panels drawn out for the original mouseboat. I plan on building one each for the kids so they have something fun to paddle around. Hopefully, Iwill be able to maneuver them into the cabin of my MacGregor 26 and store them on the aft berth. Later this year I will build my wife a Mikalaki Toto which is a 12' Kayak like boat that will be a good partner to my 12' dory I designed. Be able to throw both on top of our 1968 poptop and accomodate the family for tours of different waterways.

Finally, I am seriously contemplating a teardrop camper shell to convert my Harbor Freight folding trailer into a one to two person camper. I am justifying it by making it also serve as a enclosed shell to keep things dry when hauling them on the trailer.

None of this is moving forward very quickly but I hope to squeeze out a couple of hours and get the mouseboats finished over Christmas.
Looks like you have a plate full Scott,I was just thinking, Uh oh :roll:
seriously though the tear drop shell idea you have gave me an idea, you could make a teardrop shell out of plywood and even epoxy it for good measure, that way you could build it to the trailer dimensions, I dunno, just a thought.
Me I've been working on my cabin trying to fit it out, I finally got the shelf in. I went from the front to the rear bulkheads, and in between the three gussets on each side. I sat there one night last week with a plain and trimmed them all up to fit, when I was done I felt like a rabbit in a hutch, I had about a foot of curls all around me.
I plan on getting it fitted out within the next couple of weeks (cabinets and such) then on with the roof. I've been out there every night for a couple weeks playing with the shelves and filling lots and lots of screw holes.

Brian.
I just finished making a calendar for the BYYB. It should be available next week. Watch for it sailors

Keith
Woo hoo!! Big Grin
Can't wait.
I would make the tear drop (TD) out of luan for light weight and glass the outside for low maintenance. I will keep the height of the "cab" of the TD to 3'6" to give clearance to hoist the cab up to the roof of the garage for storage. I will attach the TD to the trailer via the 2X4 post holders on the sides of the harbor freight trailer.
That sounds like a good idea, If you do make it I definetly want to see some pictures.

Brian.
Quote:Been quiet around here but hopefully folks have been working on boats. Winter is a great season to hunker down in the workshop, work on your boat, and dream about summer and sailing.

I made a trip to your old stomping grounds to pick up my latest boat - a Macgregor 19 power sailor - it will be our "River runner" when we relocate to Tennessee in a couple of years. Right now I'm designing a galley and storage cabinets of wood to tone down the bare white interior.

I just had to take yesterday off and spend the day sailing - 78 degrees and 8-12 winds - it just doesn't get much better this time of year.
Quote:I just had to take yesterday off and spend the day sailing - 78 degrees and 8-12 winds - it just doesn't get much better this time of year.

I was going to get you a calendar in the mail tomorrow but after that comment you can forget it....some of us have to work on those perfect days!
Oh well, at least someone was having fun. You should get your 2008 BYYB calendar if a few days, I hope you enjoy it

Keith
Quote:I was going to get you a calendar in the mail tomorrow but after that comment you can forget it....some of us have to work on those perfect days!

Keith

Gee, I feel for ya :lol: Maybe I'll have some Pussers to share to ease the pain when we get together again.
I was supposed to be working on a Christmas parade float, but it was 65 when I got up this morning and 75 by the time I got the mail out of the box. Then Mike called about needing someone to show him how to bend on his new mainsail, so I forced myself to the local water's edge, dragging my guilt along with me.

After attaching his new slugs, the sail needed to be "broken in" properly, which an amateur like Mike clearly wasn't up to, so I sheepishly volunteered. The sail was a stubborn witch and insisted on fighting a good set, so I had to wear on her pretty good over a few hours, just to let her know who was master.

Nearing sun down, the temperatures dropped into the mid 70's again, so the approaching chill drove us to shore and we loaded up for the day.
Pages: 1 2