BYYB Forums

Full Version: Thus the Work Proceeds: steering system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

James Sanders

And thus the work proceeds;
the two tackles hoisting and lowering simultaneously;
both whale and windlass heaving, the heavers singing,
the blubber-room gentlemen coiling, the mates scarfing,
the ship straining, and all hands swearing occasionally,
by way of assuaging the general friction. —Herman Melville

Ahoy,

This posting is more of an update. For the moment there are no photos. It's not that what we are doing is secret like some corporate invention. No, nothing like that. It's just that we have yet to take a photo of this phase of building. We will do so sometime in the immediate future, just to prove that we have indeed been working on the boat.

At the moment, we are working on the bulwarks and on a steering system, complete with sprockets and metal plate. So far, we have milled a stainless steel tube which will house the steering bearings and the steering shaft itself. We also have milled a flange out of stainless steel which will bolt to our metal plate. On the plate we will mount three sprocket.Tube and flange are now one piece.

We are attempting to modify what we have seen on some of the larger yachts. Whether we are successful or not, we will have to wait and see.
Alright Jim I am glad to see you back at it, I know how it is life tends to get in the way of the building, I am very interested in your method of building your steering system sounds pretty nice, it sounds a little like a picture I once saw.
Good luck with it.

Brian.