BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hole in lazerette
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BrianRippie

I’m looking at hole in the stern for the rutter when the boat is made with a ships wheel. Are there any issues with taking on water through this hole? It looks low to the water. It seams to me that backing down a ramp you could take water in the lazerette. Maybe water gets in when choppy?

Brian

aaron_stokes

it has never been a problem for me. the only time it has been wet inside my steering compartment was that rare time or two that i had the boat out in a storm. but then, the boat got wet all over in those events. even in those times when i was getting beat, i did not take in enough water to care. i should add that the only time i noticed that water was getting in was when it was beached and the wind was really whipping up big waves. but again, i did not take on much water even then.
I cut a piece of inner tube, made a slit in the middle for the rudder shaft. I screwed the rubber to the transom from the inside,and it keeps the water out really well, when conditions get nasty.

Greg