BYYB Forums

Full Version: Block
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well while I was out of work from my injury I made a pully block. I got the idea out of an old gaffrig magazine article, and Barry Pyeatt as well.
Heres a couple of pictures of it, I plan to make some more as it was pretty easy.
[Image: myblock1.JPG]
[Image: myblock2.JPG]

I'm not sure if I am going to use the spliced loop or not it was my first attempt at it.

Brian.
P.S. here is the link to the Gaffrig article...
http://byyb.org/gaffrig/ond05/article%20...Waters.htm
That will look good on your boat, if you ever get it done Smile I talked to David at Hart and told him you're planning to launch up there in June so you'd better get it in gear.
I've been thinking of building a couple of blocks as well. I might try to use a strap of metal inside the block for attaching it to the boat. Just cut a groove for the strap to fit, then I could carve a shell on the outsides and make a rope mat to protect the decks and use them for my jib sheets.

Keith
Looks good Brian! 8) Just be certain that the grummet is siezed really tightly or the block can pop out of it under stress.

I found this project more than just a little satisfying. It was a lot of fun and the blocks are looking very traditional. They are also very functional. There lots of ways to make them and many shapes for the shells.

Some of them can just have a long tail left on them to sieze them onto their mounts.

What did you use to make the sheeves?
Thank You Barry I really did enjoy making it. I have one all ready to go and I plan to carve a couple out of a solid block next like yours.
I used starboard I'm not sure what it is but the guy who sold it to me was certain this was the stuff to use, I got it down in charlston at a marine supply store (same place I got the mahogany).
I just carved it out with a chisle in the drill/lathe, the file and rasp would not cut this stuff. I wonder if I could brass staple the rope in a couple of places so as to hold it on the block under duress?
Keith You might use a metal strap inside the block? That sounds interesting, could you explain it so an auto mechanic like me could understand it Big Grin

Brian.
Thank you Keith that was a perfect description, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Brian.