BYYB Forums

Full Version: "Lilybean" cabin shelves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone... I frequent these pages for information weekly and have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge...thank you!
Since all I have done in the past is sponge info from all of you.. I decided it is time to quit being so private about my boat building progress and share a little. I have been building a Weekender (Lilybean) for over a year in cracks of time. The hull is about done..I have glassed the topside, and just finished installing the top rub rails. I am working single handed and have been putting off installing the cabin shelves, because I have been stumped as to how to pull off holding the shelves in place, while fastening it from the outside. Does anyone have any idea's? Thanks to all of you for your posts and inspiration over the last couple years! I promise to be a more active participant. I look forward to any help or experience you might have..
Tracy
That is one of the 3 times I had help. I to built my boat alone and had help to turn it over and putting on the shelves. I did have the holes all drilled and had the helper run 2 screws in each shelve, just enough to hold it in place. I put the rest of the screws in myself. It is a real challenge to do all of the work yourself but well worth it. Enjoy the rest of your building.
Tracy
That is one of the 3 times I had help. I to built my boat alone and had help to turn it over and putting on the shelves. I did have the holes all drilled and had the helper run 2 screws in each shelve, just enough to hold it in place. I put the rest of the screws in myself. It is a real challenge to do all of the work yourself but well worth it. Enjoy the rest of your building.
A well wedged 2 by something (or two) will hold it until you get some fasteners in it. Brace across the cabin to the other side. Some clamps to keep it from sliding around on the shelf is handy too.

A few dots of hot glue to hold it in place (after pre-drilled pilots, etc.) as you get the first couple started can work also.

Then again, this is one of those times we can justify having kids.
Thanks for the tips.... I think I am going to break down and ask the wife for help on this one. Here are a couple pictures....
[Image: thumb_2007_pics_255.jpg]

[Image: thumb_2007_pics_118.jpg]