BYYB Forums

Full Version: Marine or Car Battery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BrianRippie

So can I just use 1 or 2 car batteries for lights, Electric motor and possible powered cooler or should I get a marine battery? I could run down to CostCo and get 2 kirkland batteries cheep.
You can use car batteries but they are designed to be used to start a car and then recharge, it's not made to use up all it's power. A deep cycle marine battery will allow you to use up most of the power in the battery without damage to the cells.

Keith
Don't waste your money, get the marine battery! Most likely it is less anyway. Costco should have deep-cycle marine batteries.
They are selling a "duel use" battery now, which has thicker plates then a starting battery, but not quite as hefty as a deep cycle. As has been stated, car batteries are designed to draw down quickly, with a heavy load (starter motor), then get charged up quickly as the car moves along. These are fine for starting outboards, I/O's and inboards, but don't last long if asked to run lights or heavier loads for long periods.

The deep cycle battery is designed to release its energy slowly and get charged up slowly. It's all a function of the plate thickness (wet cells) in conventional batteries.

The duel use batteries will do both, start your car and run you trolling motor, but not as good as a battery designed to one specifically.

Deep cycle is what you want, but costs the most. A duel use can get you by for less money, but isn't as good and a car battery (starting battery) is the weak knee sister, that will be the cheapest and will do the job, but not for long.
The previous owner of my MacGregor 26D had bought two car batteries for the electrical system on the boat and I truly hated them. Both lost their charge because a switch was left on after the BEER cruise and I went to Interstate Batteries to replace them. Guy there pointed out that the were new enough to still be under warrantly at Walmart and suggested I go exchange them. He also talked me out of buying gel cell batteries as they draw down more quickly than idyl than traditional deep cycle batteries. Enough so that the solar panels wouldn't be enough to maintain the charge. Speak about talking yourself out of a sale!

I went to Walmart and exchanged the two car batteries for two deep cycle batteries, two battery boxes (none in the boat and batteries under a berth), a Mountain Dew, and $23 dollars in change. At least for me, deep cycle were significantly less than the car batteries bought by the previous owner at Wallmart.