BYYB Forums

Full Version: Modification question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am to a dangerous part of my boat building experience. That time in the process where you "think" you know enough to deviate from "the plans". The particular mod I am considering is to add something in the cockpit area to stand or sit on so my groady shoes won't abuse the top of the bottom of the boat and my backside won't get as wet while sitting.

I am thinking something like the wood grate/grid you see in many boats. My question is how does something like that attach to the boat? Do you glue it in place? Does it attach to the bottom or the sides? The plans call for a seat to facilitate rowing or a passenger, though the location of the seat (mid cockpit) would prove lively seating during tacking. Perhaps a smaller seat at the rear of the cockpit, just off the floor of the cockpit?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Consider this my contribution to the forum slow down.
It generally doesn't attach to the boat (cockpit gratings), it just sits there, easily removable, so you can clean under it or chase down the bottle opener when it falls between the slots.
Thanks for adding a post Terry, now how about adding some photos as well. Let us see what you've been doing.

Keith
I took a few quick photos of the curved corner cutouts in the forward bulkhead. I wanted to try uploading some pictures to see how that works.

I cut the straight edges with a circle saw and the curves with a jig saw. I hate using a jig saw on plwood. I scored the cutlines with an razor knife and used a new blade but the edges kept getting torn. So I left about 1/8-3/16" of wood in the curves and used a dremel tool to finish roughing out the cut.

Here are two photos of the rough cut curves before applying the dremel tool.

[Image: normal_IMG_0525.JPG]
[Image: normal_IMG_0521.JPG]
Here are two curved cutouts after they were dremeled.

[Image: normal_IMG_0530.JPG]
[Image: normal_IMG_0531.JPG]

And here's the OSHA Inspector making sure my project meets her standards.

[Image: normal_IMG_0533.JPG]

I put these in the Triad album. I couldn't figure out how to make an album and since they are pictures of Triad bulkheads I thought it would be ok. If it's not please let me know and I will remove them.

I was really trying to figure out how others have imbedded images in their posts and thought maybe they had to be in the photo gallery first. So far I haven't been able to figure out how to add images to a post other then but url reference.
Terry, what you need to do first, is to go to your site where your pic's are or to the gallery where you posted them, and right click on them then click on properties, then you highlite the address of the photo and copy it. Go back to the posting aria where you post messages and click on the Img button (between the List= and URL buttons at the top of the page, it will appear next to your typed words, then you right click and paste the address you copied next to the Img. then you click on Img one more time it will look like this at the top of the page Img*
so it will look somthing like this [Img]http.photo@whateversite[Img] when you are done, Here is a sample.
[Image: normal_IMG_0533.JPG]

Brian.
hi Terry, i took the liberty of fixing the links so that the pictures showed in the posting.

as mentioned before the pictures location should look like this "[img]hereistheurlofthecicture.com\withtherestofithere[/img]"

you can find the location (url) by right clicking on the picture while you are looking at it and left click properties, it will say it there, then just copy and paste it into the posting. the forum will also add the brackets by clicking Img button just below the subject line Smile
Thank you Brian and Bill! I think I have it now and will attempt to imbed an image in my other post on butt joints. And though it is an image of a butt it is SFW.