BYYB Forums

Full Version: 8 Inches of Snow in Michigan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The U.P. of coarse, but snow accross the state too. Boating came to a screeching halt. We had a 90 degree weekend just 4 short weeks ago.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

"Snow?" you say. Why let something like that divert us from our appointed task? Sailing comes before snow, even in the dictonary. The true sailor's motto needs to parallel that of the Post Office

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

(Actually, the famous words are taken from the Greek historian Herodotus. At least, the words are paraphrased from Herodotus.)

Needless to say, whether gale force winds, or snow, or rain, or breeching whales should keep us from our appointed task. I will tell you that I have never shunned or hesitated to sail on the small lake called Lake Pleasant simply because a whale might breech the water's surface at any unsuspecting moment. Fearlessly, I have sailed on the waters of Lake Pleasant, never once thinking of the lurking dangers of a giant squid or great while shark attack. Sailing comes first, almost all else is second.
It's been darned cold here for a couple of days. It'll get into the low 50's tonight. I've broken out the down parka and am prepping fire wood.
We had a skiff of snow a few days ago. It has been 50/30 for a week now, but for Montana thats very nice November weather. Usually the high is in the mid 20's for halloween so actually very nice. My Shop has electric heat in the toilet and a small unfinished office area with a wood stove for the bay. More then a few scraps have went up the chimney already this year. I must be getting old. I use to heat it with sweat and hard work.
A have actually sailed a Sunfish in November during a snow storm on Lake Huron in Michigan. Yes, I capsized, but got back on and sailed for another hour. Surprisingly, there were 2 flying juniors out there too!
Hey does that picture make your "timbers shiver". It surprized me in Oct, but didn't last. I sailed her to the boat launch area a week later. The bay froze in early Nov.
[Image: BrianBethscabinatPreludelk001.jpg]

Greg