BYYB Forums

Full Version: On lashing the mainsail....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My beautiful sails from Doug came in on Saturday and I hope to have them installed by the end of next weekend. For the time being, at least I'm going to lash the sail to the mast and over the winter, I'll probably try to make some rings. From the plans I can see where I will lash the the tack cringle to the eyebolt on the gooseneck and as I have a loose footed main, the clew cringle will be tied off to a cleat under the boom. Now up at the gaff, I'm not sure of what to do. I know I have a cringle at the "throat" location and I probably have one at the peak. (I just can't remember) In the Weekencder plans I don't see an eyebolt or anything to tie that portion of the main off. I would expect to see something on the underside of the gaff jaws to tie it off. My guess is that it wouldn't do any harm to put one there. And what about the peak? Again, I feel there needs to be something there to tie off to make it fast. Any ideas/pointers on that?
Tom This is not in my plans--but I have an eye bolt about 1 1/2" behind the mouth of the jaws on the bottom of the gaff at the cringle to tie off too. I also have two eye bolts at the peak, one top one bottom. Bottom to tie of the sail at the pringle and top to tie off the line to the peak. My two cents worth Bud Smile
I thought that would be the case. On the end of the gaff I've drilled a hole for the line to go through and simply tie off a figure eight. That should do it for the peak halyard. So, yup... sounds like an eyebolt is called for on the bottom of the gaff jaws and the other end of the gaff! Thanks, Bud.