BYYB Forums

Full Version: Title
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question of a non sailboat nature (not sure where to post it)
My friend aquired a stingray boat about 9 or 10 years old, it does not have a title it is not stolen or anything the original owner died. is there any legal way that he can get a title for it?
Thank Y'all.

Brian.

aaron_stokes

here in utah, all you have to do is go down to the department of motor vehicles and tell them the situation and they hand you all the forms that neet to be filled out. they may ask you to get some info from the next of kin but it should not be any big deal. at least, it would not be out here in the stix.

Mac_McKelvy

Most states have an application process for lost or stolen title replacement. He'll need a bill of sale (probably notarized if possible) and the hull number will have to be verified (in Texas this can be done by any police officer).
Same deal in most states, verification of HIN number (all boats after 1974) or serial number (previous of 1974), which can be handled by any "officer of the court" (cop, harbor patrol, fish and game officer, sheriff, DMV officer, state trooper, clerk of the court, lawyer, judge, etc.). Filing the proper paper work which may include, lost title forms, title reassignment, taxes, inspections, etc. and the same can be said of a trailer too. They mostly want their money, bill of sale and an address to access taxes, fines and fees, etc. in case you're lying to them or something.

Most states have a specific routine they want you to follow. Jump though the hoops they want, or it'll take forever. Just tell them what the story is, they've heard similar ones before and back it up with paper work (bill of sale) and they'll issue you a new title, probably with the same "SC" number it had previously.
Thank You to all Y'all I appreciate the replies I think my friend will be happy with the results. I will relay this info to him today.
As allways thank you for the help it is much appreciated..

Brian.