BYYB Forums

Full Version: PC Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the help of Mark and Keith the boat trailor is now road ready. I was ready to take the boat to the trim shop today to get the soft top made but the man had a family problem come up and will be gone for a while.

I also found out that both of the deck plates are leaking water into the voids behind the seats. New gaskets may work but I am thinking of moving them to the back of the seats and closing off the holes in the deck when warm weather returns. I will also cut the seat backs down to the deck making it easier to get into the boat.

I still need to rewire two lights, finish the rudder and mount it, make the rigging and sails, make a good boom crutch.
Glad to hear progress is being made! Sorry to hear about the deckplates. Never had problems with mine but they were mounted vertically. I am assuming you caulked them well when you put them in? Also, I was wondering if you were going to make the sails or order them? I have a sewing machine that I actually like to use Confusedhock: . Let me know when you plan on working on the rigging and I will try and be there.

Hmmm, so when is the big launch day (I guess the second launch but the one where the boat is done). Also, are you planning on making it to Florida beginning of April?
I plan to make my sails to hold cost down. I intend to buy a sail kit on line from the same place Keith got his. I intend on laying it out in my front yard and taping it up then find someone to sew it togather. Your offer sounds good.

I am going to have to try and measure how much line to buy. I found a source on E-Bay that has good prices. I am thinking of using 5/16 on the halyards and 3/8 on the main sheet. First I have to find a way to make 6 belaying pins. I don't have a lath or know anyone that does have one.

Florida will be a bit too far for me to drive. My Doctor wants me to limit my driving to one hour segments with 15 minute breaks to limit the possibility of blood clouts in my legs.
The line you need depends on how you set up the running rigging. The longest rope required is the peak halyard for the gaff sail. However, you might also want to double purchase your throat halyard which both make raising the sail easier and makes it the same pull through on rope as your peak halyard. You have to pull on both ropes in order to raise the sail. Anyway, I can explain this better verbally. Another consideration is if you are going to lead the lines to your cockpit which I highly recommend.

I bought some line via ebay and was very happy with it. Just make sure you don't have any twist especially in your peak halyard so the ropes don't fowl themselves.

I would be more than happy to sew everything together. My price is good (free) though I will admit I am no professional sailmaker. Make sure you get some dacron thread with your sailkit.
Hey Ed, you know someone with a lathe. Come on over sometime and give it a whirl. If you don't know how to turn I can give you a lesson but you will have to turn them yourself, that way you keep the bragging rights to your pins. Anytime you want to come by just give me a call and I'll set you up.

Keith
So Ed, this means you will be ready for Indian Pass? Follow the tip on the main halyard. It is a pain to get the gaff peak to follow evenly.
So Ed Keith is going to take care of the pins Scott is going to sew the sail maybe Mark could make the boom crutch,oh yes I remember you raised your seats be sure you get your hole for your tiller up at least as much as you raised your seats or the tiller will hit those old sore knees. Any thing else? We are planning on launching this spring even if we have to rent a crain to get your old a$$ in the boat see you soon love Bud. :wink: Now drink the wine and go to bed. Y'all Come Cap'N Bud.