BYYB Forums

Full Version: there is snow outside!?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

aaron_stokes

i got out of bed this morning to find that there is snow on the mountains. only a walking distance from my house! spring just ended a few days ago....what the heck is going on! winter can't be coming! this summer has been jam packed with fun .....and i am not finished!

there. i said it... i feel better. but i am not winterizing the boat untill after the first weekend of november. Confusedhock: i am begginning to question my sanity. ok, don't laugh. there is no sanity to question on my part but i am worried that it is going to be MUCHO FRIO at walker. it sure will be up here in the great white north.

will someone please send me some reassurance that walker will be reasonably warm. i am getting depressed over this sudden surge of sad weather.

adla and craig- what are the brands, models and specs of your respective spot lights. it is time i got one as i love night sailing and tend to get lost in good weather. they are rechargable arent they?
Yes, I'll sent the specs from the coach tonight.
Sorry, yesterday got to be a long day. I will do this tonight for sure.
i got my father in law a spot light at target last year for christmas. it was something crazy like 10 million candle watt power and even had a radio built in to it. it was less than $40 even.

aaron_stokes

i filally got around to buying one a couple of weeks ago. i was stoped at a truck stop in missouri. it was sitting on the display shelf advratising 2 milan candles and for less than 25 clams. so i found a spot in our over stuffed trunk and now it is in the boat.

your adventure this fall was enough to get me thinking about how little it would take for me to be better prepaired for such a trip.

what is navajo like between january and february? i just don't want to put the boat away!
Navajo is usually frozen that time of year and stays that way till June. It's pretty high up there and it gets very cold. I know how you feel though, not wanting to call it a season. There's always the Great Salt Lake and I'll bet Brit and Phil would go with you.
Now it would take a hell of a wind, but, have you ever seen an ice boat? Small mod for outriggers and heavy skate blades.......
Polar Bear sail on the GSL? Hmmm.....interesting

aaron_stokes

craig- i have plans for an ice boat. last year is was contemplating the construction of one but got to thinking: the builder claims that the boat can tripple the speed of the wind it is cruising in and has been clocked at speeds in excess of 100 mph......... anyone know what the wind chill factor would be at that speed?? Confusedhock: i hate the cold season.

brit- some of these guys up north make me feel like a sissey. their summer temps seem to resemble our winter temps. if i can come up with a good way to stay warm on a cold lake, i am all for it. i do need to figure it out. a customer told me today that he has hip waders that he does not use any more and is going to give them to me. that will make it possible to launch and retrieve the daydream with out getting wet. i think this is a compelling start. i wonder if a wet suit would be more safe.... in case of a turtle manuver. ok,ok i know this is a stable boat but just in case anything happened, hypothermia can kill fast.

we can start our own frost biters fleet!!!
Safety first and foremost, to be sure. Chest waders (neoprene) would be a good start, but a "dry" suit would be better. Of course, there's where the money goes... :lol:

Launching from Antelope Island would allow us to have a "base camp", which would be nice to have to warm up in, emergency or no.

I'm game.
Pages: 1 2