BYYB Forums

Full Version: tiller length
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just applied my first coat of varnish to my tiller today. I currently have what I would consider to be a comfortable length (about 12 - 15 inches into the cockpit area) but it can still be shortened if I like. Since I don't know what to expect in the way of torque from the tiller, it's kind of hard to make a decision on this. My guess is that I get stronger leverage with more length. I believe the mod I did on the rudder box should work in that I believe it will distribute the load well. Again, I'm not sure what to expect in this area. I noticed that Adla's rudder box is quite beefy at the top where the tiller mounts. Mine is not so dense, but I will be using the same metal plates as I have for my chainplates that will through bolt for the tiller and below it will have two through bolts to attach it to the box. Where it through bolts is is a solid block that was added on top of the existing box. I'm hoping this will be strong enough.

On another related area: Are most of you using the gills on the stem to rudder box? It sounds like something that would make a considerable difference when tacking.