BYYB Forums

Full Version: tiller: glue AND screw?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I laminated up my tiller this evening. This is like the one Adla had shown us in another thread recently. I made a curved "mold" to clamp the strips to; giving me that nice shape once it's ready. It seems to me that the strips of wood which were under considerable pressure once clamped might benefit from having a few screws in there to support it. Aesthetically, I'd rather not do this, but it seems to me that the wood would still be under a lot of pressure to straighten back out. Any thoughts on this? Adla, what's been your experience?
I didn't need it - I used plastic resin glue I think or epoxy but once the glue set up it didn't require any screws and still doesn't. I have seen no indication of delamination...

So, I wouldn't use screws. I think you will like the tiller...in light winds I used mine like a sculling oar to push the nose through tacks....and I feel like I have good control with the tiller.

I have noticed (since I am on my 4th rudder) that the rudder really makes a difference in handling. My first rudder was too tender...the second was made too quickly out of ply and had rough edges...so it behaved strangely...my 3rd was a good rudder but I broke it (just being stupid) and now my 4th rudder is made correctly and is mahogany....It makes a real difference to have a decent rudder.

a.
If you have good contact, well glued joints, the lamination (glued strips of wood) will retain it's shape nicely, surprisingly so in fact. There are many buildings with laminated curved beams in them, several stories tall that have stood the test of time on this technique. They stole the method from boat builders (like much of modern construction) because it works so well. Screws may actual do harm, by separating the laminations, splitting the pieces, causing internal stresses where there were none, etc. I know it seems had to believe, but it really works well.

Adla is very correct in that a well known weak point in the design is the rudder. The box, the blade, the attachments and steering mechanism all have had many issues over the years. The rudder governs more then the direction of the boat underway. It also provides a substantial amount of lateral area. If it is shaking, wobbly or has a sloppy fit and is stalled most of the time because of the shape (or other issues), then it's not doing its job as well as it could be. Heavy weather will can make the boat difficult if not imposable to control, with a funky rudder/steering assembly (just when you don't need more trouble). Quick, assured turns should be the norm, not the exception. There are many previous threads covering the rudder issues. You may want to search them out and have a read. Some very good examples of improvements can be had in these old threads.
Ahhhh! That's good news. I pulled the clamps earlier and did some preliminary sanding. I just put it into position on the rudder box to check it out. I believe it will be as stated by the both of you...I'm gonna love it. I should begin the varnishing this weekend........ Along with the trim pieces that make the tracks for the companionway door.
At the back of my mind I've been wondering if I'ill be building another rudder box down the road. I think I will be reseaching that a bit more...possibly building another over the winter or in the spring. I think mine is ok for now, but I do see weaknesses in it. I read earlier about using rope epoxied on the lead edge of the rudder (one of your posts, Paul) and I will want to look into that if not now, certainly soon.