BYYB Forums

Full Version: Caught my first Ocean Fish in my Weekender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

DavidGale

Well, it took several weekends of trial and error but I'm finally coming up with some things that are attracting fish and I actually managed to catch one this weekend.

So the question is finally answered..

Question: What will I do with the boat if a fish bites...
Answer: just let it keep on sailing.

With the wheel at the back of the weekender, it was no big deal to pilot the boat and fight the fish at the same time. I usally tie the main off when I've got it on a good tack and I simply left it there and fought the fish.

When it was wore out, I gaffed it and pulled it over the highside and dropped it down in the cockpit well. It slammed hard against the seat boxes but I was expecting this when I build the seats and they didn't mind the bashing one bit. Slit it's throat and dropped it in the icebox to bleed out.

So.. here is a photo of my first offshore fish.

[Image: 1396577207_2366713b71_d.jpg]
Nice fish, I'm glad you're enjoying your boat. Now you know that once you move up here you'll have a hard time trying to catch something that big. You could get lucky and hook a striper that size but you'll probably have a better chance at winning the lottery. I'm looking forward to sailing with you once you make the move.

Keith

DavidGale

Yeah, that whole moving situation has us depressed. And now they're marketing the asheville area HARD on television down here. Makes us real anxious. But no one is looking at houses built in the 50s when there is such a glut of new homes that they're offering two-fer-one sales!

When I do finally make it up there, You'll have to show me where those stripers are Smile Never fished for landlocked stripers before. Caught plenty of them in Rhode Island where I grew up.... They can't resist a fresh eel dropped down to them.
you know ---- I try to fish every time I take Morgaine out just about and there ain't nothing like that anywhere near these waters!!! WOW....

Nice to put a face to the boat - Red's Betty is a FINE weekender!

a.

What does soakin' it in milk do?

DavidGale

Hey Adla,

Soaking it in milk helps to remove any odors left by shark blood in the meat. It probably wasn't needed though because I bled it out and put it on ice right away. Shark meat can smell a little like amonia. Something about the shark's system... they excrete urine though their skin? I'm not sure of the details but thats the deal.... milk takes the pee out Smile

Got any fishing pictures to share even if they're not quite as sharky?

Enjoy!
David
Hey David here is our version of freshwater sharks, Nothern Pike, we call Jackfish. This is my son and I on a early July trip, This one was 20 lbs.

[Image: IMG00012-1.jpg]

and after shot

[Image: shorelunch003_edited.jpg]
Yummmm!

Greg
I just have this one of some *little* bitty trouts .....Well I would soak it in milk too *grin* - I bet it was tasty.

I am going to try to get more fishing in this winter ---

[Image: FISH.sized.jpg]

don't laugh - these are big trout for these waters....

a.

DavidGale

EXCELLENT Smile Love catching fish. Love looking at pictures of other people's fish too!

And I love living in the digital age when we can take pictures like this and share them across great distances.

Craig, thats how I like my fish... bite size breaded and fried chunks. drizzled with lemmon juice and a side of tater totts.

Adla, you pic is very artistic Smile Something I would frame and hang on the wall.

Do you cook them with the heads on? We used to go to new hampshire and maine when i was a kid camping and trout fishing and they always seemed to cook them heads on after cleaning them like yours are cleaned.

Is that a perch hiding under the trout?
Here are a couple of sturgeon my wife and I caught on the Columbia River in Oregon

<a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/jsacho/Sailing/photo#5112289305770542578">Sturgeon</a>

joel