BYYB Forums

Full Version: Knots...what're your favorites?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been looking over a big Chapman's Piloting book this past week and I've been looking at knots and I think it's about time I start practicing a few. I thought it would be helpful to see what knots some of you are using. Where are you using them and why that particular knot?
Good question Tom.

The absolutely best most needed knot on a boat is the bowline (in my never to be humble opinion) :mrgreen: . Use it to secure sheets to sails, loops in lines for cleats, posts, etc., halyards to sails and a thousand other uses.

A good knot ought to be easy to tie, easy to untie and should not slip under load.

Others I use fairly often are the clove hitch, timber hitch and square (or reef) knot.
You should learn to tie the bowline with your eyes closed, on a bouncing deck, in rainstorm....with one hand! Good luck The figure 8 is a good easy one to learn. It will keep your sheets from running through your blocks. Also learn to tie a reef knot instead of the granny knot that most non sailors usually tie. Now after you get them down, get the book Marlinspike Sailor and learn to tie some beautiful knots that can make your boat stand out from all the rest.

Keith
The anchor bend is a favorite of mine. It retains more of the line strength when tight and will not shake loose like a bowline can (I've seen bowlines shake off a jib, when heavily flogged). The rolling hitch, usually locked (with a half hitch) or made slippery (again with a dog eared half hitch) is a handy knot when needing to relieve tension, say on a sheet that has fouled or over rode a winch or cleat making release imposable. The Carrick bend really weakens the line, but makes a locked eye pretty well. The barrel hitch also is another I use when I have a blight to work with, like when shortening a spring line or adjusting a Spanish windlass rig.

Everyone develops favorites as they learn to use different knots for different tasks. You'll look much saltier if your tails have monkey fists to prevent them from running through the last fairlead. There is nothing more lubberly then having a halyard run up the mast, because you didn't have this knot or the figure eight to prevent it.
I like the Monkeyfist, Albright knot, the Reef hitch and the Clove hitch.
Just my two cents.
Speaking of the Monkeyfist, that sounds like it serves the same purpose as the Wall and Crown which I have illustrated in my book. Am I right about that? It sounds like something you would tie at the end to fatten it up so it won't pass back through the first fairlead.

And speaking of ends........I see a few different whippings that can be applied to the bitter ends of lines. Is this how most of you are finishing off your ends?
the wall and crown is simmilar to the monkeyfist. Here is the link to it on animated knots...
http://www.animatedknots.com/monkeysfist...dknots.com

Brian.
I dont want to hijack this thread or anything but I also have a knot question/problem.
I am trying to tie my own rope fenders for my boat in my spare time. I am using pool noodles and running the rope through the center hole to come out on the other end, then I am unraveling the rope into 3 strands.
I saw this done on a website somewhere and lost the site and thats as far as I got on it. I remember somthing about a crown knot pattern or somthing but I cannot wrap my head around how to cover the fender with the knot.
Does anybody have any idea on how to proceed with this?

Thank You in advance.
Brian.
http://www.floatingbear.ca/RopeFender.HTM

I'm actually planning on exprimenting with a "Knitting Nancy" to try to make my own fenders. There's less rope hanging about to get tangled up.
Pages: 1 2