BYYB Forums

Full Version: sheathed cable...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been to most of the big boxes and local hardware stores and I am having some difficulty finding 1/8" sheathed cable. Most of them carry it, but don't have it in stock. At least the guy at Lowe's said he would order some more right away. I will probably keep plugging away at it, but I was wondering if anyone has used anything else such as galvanised unsheathed which I have seen.
Hi,

I was in a store called Tractor Supply, a farm ranch supply store in Billings Montana, looking for some double braided rope and saw some nice sheathed cable. They had it in the size you are looking for and a few others. They had stainless steel as well as galvenized. The store information is:

They have a website. This is a link to the page with the bulk cable on it.
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcI...ctID=29459

I don't know how national or widespread their stores are so I don't know if they have a store in your area? Hope the info helps.
Tom here is my two cents worth on cable. Yes I have used unsheathed galv.cable. The thing about sheathed cable is you have to take the sheath off at the ends so your cable clamps will not slip, so the water goes down the sheathed part and defeats your purpose. It's also more costly.Just my thought on it. Bud.
I presume it's for the stays, I used clothes line cable with a 1200 lb rating. Don't skrimp on quality, I bought some old clothes line cable sheathed in blue plastic. It had a low rating 300-500 lb I think. In some nasty weather a couple years ago, the aft stays snaped until only one was left, and a was able to get back to the dock, with my motor, and without damaging the mast.

Greg
Tom If you look at the SS cable make sure you can bend it back tight enough for your loops at the end. I bought a reel of it at a goverment surplus sheathed and all and it was to stiff for me to use for my boat. It made very good horse fencing though. Waste not want not. Bud. :wink:
speaking of Tractor Supply, the last time I was at Pop's we had to go to the Tractor Supply store to fix his sail boat. We need a big syringe and neddle to add mineral spirits to his $275 compass., so for about $10 we totally rehabbed the Plastimo bulkhead mount compass.

FYI. if you put a few drops of the liquid in your compass on a sheet of paper it will evaporate if it is mineral spirits but not if it is mineral oil. Fil it up and put both the fluid and the compass in the fridge and fill it up again once it gets cold to remove the bubble.