BYYB Forums

Full Version: Chines an area of damage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I gently laid down my 4oz cloth and meticuluously applied epoxy.... okay, that is starting to sound like a bad romance novel. Anyway, I was wondering how vulnerable the chines are. I don't plan on hitting anything with them, but I wonder if others have had damage. If so, any ideas? Kevlar is too thick to make it look good. Metal is not out of the question, but maybe these are not really vulnerable areas, except if you rack it on the trailer or something.
The keel and rudder protect the chines. Unless you intend to sail her in an area with a huge tidal range and beach her alot where she might pound in water to shallow to float upright while waiting on the water I would not worry about it.
The chines can bang on the trailer, certainly will see some abrasion if beached and can hit piles if much of a sea is running on your beam (as the boats rolls). Kevlar is great stuff, but I don't think it's worth the cost, trouble laminating it or the special scissors needed to cut it.

Any fabric can have it's weave filled and the edges faired in to smooth things out, it's just a difficult material to work with. I'd use a polyester or acrylic fabric (Dynel, Xynole, etc.) if you think you really need the extra protection. Xynole is just under 6 times and Dynel is about 3 times more abrasion resistant then regular 'glass cloth. Plus both have a higher modulus of elongation (stronger in tension) so they can absorb more deformation without the fibers tearing and breaking (delamination). I also never use big thick, heavy weights of fabric, including the high tech stuff. Thinner, lighter laminates (using more layers of course) will produce better, lighter and stronger structures, then a single thick, heavy fabric. In other words, two layers of 6 ounce cloth is better then one of 12, especially if the orientation of the weave is canted in each layer.

4 ounce cloth is a finishing cloth (for use in natural finished wood). Two layers of this will be better then one of 8 and smoothing out the weave will be easier too.

The leading edge of the rudder can use some protection too.