BYYB Forums

Full Version: shopping for sails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to order sails very soon and I've still had no luck contacting Mike Stevenson for a set. I sent one more e-mail tonight hoping I may hear from him.

Other options seem to be Duckworks and Sail Warehouse. Duckworks is very expensive and The Sail Warehouse appears to sell a set for just under $600.00. However, that would be without reef points which I will want. I suppose I could get them put in locally. Has anyone else purchased a set from The Sail Warehouse? If so, what do you think of them?
When I order sails, I will likely call North Sails. Not sure of how many locations they have, but I know they have a location in Michigan. I suppose since they are being shipped, location is not important.
Give Doug Fowler a call. He made my sails and did a fantastic job.
At least get a quote

Doug Fowler - Specializing in Cream & Tanbark Sails
1182 East Shore Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
Tel: 607-277-0041

4oz Dacron: Egyptian Cotton (Cream Color)

[Image: P1000548.jpg]
Karls sails look great and fit the boat perfectly AND were less expensive than buying the Sailrite kit and having it sewn at a local loft. Karl's sails are the best set I have seen for these boats.

I have seen Stevenson's sails, Ulta Sails, Sailrite Sails and North Sails on these boats and Karls beat all of them for construction, fit and value.
Wow...those sails do look good. How does this work? I give Doug a call, get a quote? My guess is that he probably has all the dimensions at his shop since he's done these before. How long is the turnaround time? I think I'll give him a call in the morning.
Tom D. I think Karl and Angie are right on on this one. I have seen Karls sails and they are very nice. Good workmanship great looking and at a reasonable price. I think if I were you I would check them out. Bud
Tom
Give Doug a call. You can fax the sail plan to him if he needs the dimensions. He will send you color samples and a quote.
His turn around was four to five weeks but that was in the spring his busy season.
My main sail has reef points, and a loose foot.
He also installed bronze bings on the jib.
Man! Am I glad you guys suggested I give Doug a call. I talked to him this morning and I will call him again tomorrow to firm things up. Those sails really do look wonderful and I'm very excited about getting a set for my boat. This run on the home stretch really feels good. Of course, money is flying everywhere, but it sure is fun!
I've placed my order with Doug and will probably receive them by the beginning of next month. Doug also says he's spoken with someone named Jeff and the phone number he was given doesn't work. Would that be you, Jeff?? If so, he would like you to give him a call as he can't get hold of you.
I bought a gaff sail for my C12 from www.atlanticsailtraders.com for under $150 new. I also just bought a new set of sails, main and 130 headsail, with all of the bells and whistles for my 26' boat from them for less than $900 including shipping. Very very happy especially since they had the sails in stock and I didn't have to wait. Given I am in a four-way run for skipper of the year in racing not missing a race while waiting for sails was very important.

[Image: IMG_2817_edited.JPG]
Pages: 1 2