BYYB Forums

Full Version: Clubfoot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Richard_Smith

In the plans there is a pulley on the end of the clubfoot which then leads to pulley located on the deck. I understand that this arrangement gives more leverage, but how necessary is the pulley on the end of the clubfoot. Couldn't a line be attached directly to the end of the clubfoot and then through the pulley on the deck? Is the extra leverage necessary?
Richard My club foot is rigged with the line tied through the I bolt at the back of the club, through the block on the deck and back to the cockpit. Works for me. Bud.

Richard_Smith

Thanks Bud. That's what I think I'll do. It seems like a much simplier way to go.
Richard
Throw the clubfoot over the rail. :lol: If you are a beginner it is great, if you aren't it will only drive you nuts as it is a real detriment to sail shape and chatters all the time!
It's called a club foot because of what it does to sailors shins (and other body parts), when working on the foredeck. Trust Angie. If you're needing to learn how to sail, then it can be helpful, but you'll soon out grow it's shepherding nature and will want a jib that can offer more pulling power, which needs to be loose footed and extend past the mast a fair bit, so it can help the mainsail's air flow.
Richard My 2cents worth. Put the club foot on and try it. It is little expense and saves messing with the jib all the time. as Angie and Paul don't like the club they shouldn't have one. If you don't like it, it takes about 1 min. to take it off and chunk it. The reason the club hits you on the legs and ankles is to remind you you don't need to be up forward messing with something while you are sailing. All lines go back to the cockpit. Your jib sail shape may not be as good, your air flow may not be as good but you won't have to mess with the jib all the time. The club may hurt your speed a little. Insted of going 6 knots you may only go 5.9 but remember hull speed is hull speed even with the moter running. And beside that they don't have a class for my pocket cruser in the regotaes here at Lake Nickajack. If you wan't to get there sooner take a plane and leave the boat in the carport. :wink: Bud.
I agree with Bud. I is cheap and easy to try the clubfoot. I plan on using one when conditions are right. If it is causing problems it's simple to take it off.

I've seen this arrangement on a friends boat it worked great!
http://www.alerionexpress28.com/id101.html

I am also going to try to use just one block. I plan to mount it on the mast instead of the deck

joel
Notice what a tiny little jib and huge main that is in the photo. The Alerion gets its power from the main and is only balanced by the jib. Our little boats are actually much more balanced with a larger jib because so much air is spilled by the twist in a gaff rig. Tossing the clubfoot allows the use of a larger jib which makes the boat tack better (the boat is VERY easy to stall) and makes it faster, tossing the clubfoot also allows the boat to point much higher.

Try it, but go ahead and buy sheets long enough that you can toss the club foot when you are ready. Put the club foot blocks on the side stays to use them as fairleads for the jib sheets and use the stick as a fire poker.

Speaking of sheets, the sheet lengths in the plans need about 10' added to all of them to lead things aft.

Again, that is the beauty of this project. It is your boat and you can do as you see fit. It is all good!

BTW, Pop did not mention he has tossed his clubfoot too. :lol: :lol: I think he tossed it in Davy Jones locker the second time he sailed the boat.
Hey Joel, what is wrong with you? Your garage is entirely TOO neat and clean. It should look like a bomb went off this late into your project. :lol: :lol: Seriously, very nice (and neat).
Quote:Hey Joel, what is wrong with you? Your garage is entirely TOO neat and clean. It should look like a bomb went off this late into your project. :lol: :lol: Seriously, very nice (and neat).

I hear that a lot Angie.... I usually try to spend 10 minutes at the end of the day and put everything back where it came from. It sure makes it a lot easier to start up again the next time. I guess if I spent more time making sawdust and less time sweeping it up I would be done by now :lol:

But hey I dont want to start any bad habits that would jeoardize my run at the " longest build time " for a Weelender :!:

joel
Pages: 1 2