BYYB Forums

Full Version: Boot stripes (boot topping)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some months ago, I described to Barnacle Jim, the proper way to arrange a boot stripe. Most just use a straight line, but I suggested they curve, progressively upward at the ends. There are a number of reasons for this, most being aesthetic in nature. The September/October issue of WoodenBoat Magazine (the current one) has an article (page 89) on this particular yacht feature. I have to admit the text included comments about modern designs showing just a straight line for a boot stripe and that the classic designers (he mentioned Sparkman & Stephens) always included a sweeping stripe. All my designs have had sweep in the boot stripe and I'm reasonably confidant I'm not considered a designer of that magnitude.

In any case it a good article, though a bit thick for the average person and unnecessarily complex, in my way of doing thing. It uses math and percentages to calculate the boot stripe height changes. Personally I find this isn't necessary really, when a good eye ball job will usually suffice, once you know what to look for, which the article does offer.

If anyone is getting ready to put a topping on their LWL (boot stripe) then they should read this article. An on line version can be had at www.woodenboat.com.

For those of you who don't receive WoodenBoat Magazine, you should get a subscription. It's a bi-monthly (every other month) and is mostly populated with submitted contributions, rather then a paid staff of writers. The photography is first class as are the features, printing and the submitted articles. Many think it's just fancy show boats, but it's not at all, in fact, the magazine reminds me of the old Rudder magazines that I used to thumb to death as a boy, full of how to stuff, history and lots of hands on. I'm not trying to support them, nor am I employed by them, though I am working on a how to article for an up coming issue.