BYYB Forums

Full Version: Quick poll on what weight cloth people used..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have to check, but I think the cloth I used was 3 or 4 oz cloth. Seemed very thin...like silk really. What did everyone else use?
6 oz as I recall Jeff.
4 oz for my drifter and 6 oz for my 110 jib and main

John Kocher

Jeff,

I used 6 oz for everything, had no problems or complaints with it.

John K.
I'm about to order a set. If I end up going to The Sail Warehouse for them they will be 4 oz. I hope that will work out for me. The winds here in the San Francisco area kick up pretty good in the afternoons.
Cool. Thanks for the replies. I was just surprised how thin 4oz cloth is...like working with silk. I guess I should not doubt my choice as there is likely little difference in protection between a 4 oz and 6 oz cloth or heavier. If it is going to get dinged, it is going to get dinged.

DavidGale

I used the PolyTarp sail kit, sewed them instead of taping them. It wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. When I make my next set of sails, I'm going to use a lighter nylon fabric and sew them because it seems to take a lot of wind to fill my tarp sails, which seem too heavy if the wind is below 5mph.

The polysail guy lists his stuff - Heavy, strong, UV protected, 12 x 12 weave, white polytarp material (approximately 5.5 oz/sq. yd.) ... I've seen someone on here post a link to a place that makes 14x14 weave though.
Here is the polysail guy's link

http://members.aol.com/polysail/
I forgot to mention the post was about fiberglassing (not sails).
Jeff, I used 4oz fiberglass on the sides, deck, and 2 layers in the cockpit. 6oz on the bottom. You need to be careful when doing finish sanding, especially around corners. It is pretty easy to sand right through the 4 OZ cloth. I found the thicker fiberglass easier to work with. The 4 oz thends to snag on everything. On the plus side it does make corners easier and uses less epoxy to fill the weave.

joel
Yeah, sanding glass is an art. I may also consider doing a thicker cloth on high traffic areas (cockpit, etc.) on the topside.