BYYB Forums

Full Version: Dark colored hull problematic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am considering painting my hull Dark Blue. I am concerned about it showing any minor deficiencies... I will have 3 coats of epoxy, 2-3 coats of barrier coat, 2 coats of primer then the paint. Anyone out there paint dark and regret it?
It will show every dimple on it and is not as forgiving as lighter colors. I know you are dead set on using the barrier coat and epoxy primer that you don't really need but why don't you spend that money on peel ply instead of wasting it on barrier coat and high build epoxy primer. Just a thought.

Something else to think about, using the lay up you are thinking about, if you dink the top coat-- which is pretty easy to do when you have a 6 or 7 layer build up (it will be like chipping the gel coat and need filler sanding etc)- it is going to show the lighter undercoats you are dead set on applying.

Can I take a cutting from your money tree? I sure wish I had one. :lol:
Dark blue will work Jeff. No one in Lansing will know the difference anyway. 8)
I talked to Interlux people today. They are sending a catalog. All things considered, I guess I will be skipping the barrier coat and will likely go with a topside paint or something similar, which others have used and recommended. Depending on the type of paint selected, some require primer, some don't.. I guess I will keep it simple and keep it cheap(er). Thanks for all the input guys.
None of them will require a high build epoxy primer, they are generally used to take care of areas where the gel coat has been compromised with some light crazing, etc. I can tell you don't trust our judgement, but we have done LOTS of boat work and know most products; so check with the manufacturer and you will see we are right and will feel confident about the whole thing. It ain't our first rodeo. It is your boat however.... so it really is your call. That is what makes this so much fun.

I do think you are using your money wiser now. I know you want it to look slick, it will.... don't over do it.

If you are painting dark, check out using some peel ply to get it really slick. I have seen boats that look like gel coat that have simply used peel ply on their last coat of epoxy and then used a good quality marine paint. It really is that simple.
On a different tack.... when we were sailing with Milos on his Vacationer in Croatia last summer, he told me he had originally painted his hull a light color, but later painted it a darker blue which it is today. He noticed that when it was light, fish would not hang out under it, but now they do.
Awesome. Thanks for all the info. I concur. So where do I get peel ply?
As Angie has pointed out, high build primer is just as the name suggests, a thick primmer which is then used to fair the surface imperfections smooth. It's used when deep scratches, stress cracks, feathered in repairs, etc. need to be blended into the surface, but are too shallow for a dedicated filler material. High build primmer is used when you have to "block" the surface. Surfaces that need this treatment generally are nearly smooth, but have some sanding swirl, fastener dimples, small scratches, etc. that need to be "blocked" with a long board. I've never seen a homebuilt boat, that had the level of finish which would necessitate a blocked in building primer. You painting success usually is associated with the level of blocking performed on the sheathing, where you'll become acquainted with the long board.

Again as has been pointed out, dark colors (especially dark blue and black) require a perfect hull, because every surface blemish will show on these colors. This is particularly true if the paint is high gloss.

You're boat will look great in dark blue. In your great white north environment, the color will have no ill effects on the epoxy under it and it's a damned cool looking hue on a boat. Go for it. Apply the primer in several thin coats (I use 4) with a light hand sanding between each coat, to knock off the over spray or splatter, stipple and provide tooth for the next coat. After hand standing a number of primer coats, a wet sand will reveal what the hull will look like with glossy paint, so you'll see the areas that need further attention. Ditto the top coats, using several thin coats produces the most even and long lived paint jobs.

Peel ply can be found at any 'glass or epoxy supply outfit or you could use the cheaper fabric, rip stop nylon which will be found at the local fabric store (arts and crafts, Joann's Fabrics, etc.).
I painted my hull dark green and it looks great. I did use a high build primer and there were a few places where I had to use a spot filler after the first coat of primer. Down south the sun can get hot on that paint but the only place it's been a problem is on the stem. I have had some delam there but I probably shouldn't have glassed that part in the first place. The hull itself doesn't seem to get that hot even in the hot GA sunshine because it's thin enough that it doesn't retain the heat. I think you should paint it dark, there are just too many white boats out there.

Keith
I painted my hull black and it worked out fine. I can easily spot scrapes and such on the keel and bottom after a sail and touch up with more paint.
Pages: 1 2