BYYB Forums

Full Version: bunk height on trailer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Steve Cherry

Has anyone had to raise the bunks on their trailer? I've got the bunks as high as they can go and the keel is still resting on the cross member. It looks like I'm going to have to either take the bunks off and add more wood or find some longer, sturdy u-channels and raise the bunks that way. Anybody else have this problem?
I had to add hight to my bunks as well, I don't think its unusual for a sailboat thats sitting on a motorboat trailer. I just made the bunks out of 3 layers of 2x4 and it works just fine.

Keith

Steve Cherry

Thanks for getting back to me about the trailer height, Keith. I figured I couldn't be the only one to run into that problem. I'm anticipating my first launch the second Saturday in September, but I havn't decided where yet. Got a lot to do between now and then!
My launch was also in September, the 3rd of 2005. Not a bad day to launch because it's just the beginning of the second sailing season here. Spring and fall are the best times, the summer is just too hot. You can find a good day in the winter now and then as well but most of the time the boat is put away and being worked on during the winter months. Hope everything goes well on you launch, and post pictures and tell us all about it.

Keith

Steve Cherry

Yes, Keith, I plan on posting pictures of the launch. Right now I'm trying to hook up the steering gear, and I'm not having too much success. I went with the wheel steering, and now I see why so many builders switched to a tiller; the access hatch is so small I can't put both arms in at one time and see what I'm doing; if I use actally get my head down and look in I can only get one hand in, which makes it impossible to tie the knots. I've rigged it twice so far yesterday and it either didn't work right or was way too loose. My wife suggested cutting another hatch in the deck above the transom, but I don't want to do that. Hopefully, I'll get it done today. I knew this was going to be difficult and I've been dreading it for months. :roll:
I put 2 hatches on my lazerett knowing it would be tight with just one. It has worked out well for me so far and I don't loose items when I place them in there. Sorry your having problems but you'll get it worked out. I can't wait to see your pics

Keith

Steve Cherry

Keith; A hatch or two on top of the lazarette might be what I need to solve the access problem. Where did you get yours? and can you do you have a link to a picture of what they look like? thanks, Steve C.
I just built 2 hatches, one on each, side instead of the single hatch in the center. It just seemed a better choice to me when I was building.

Keith
Here is a picture of my trailer. [Image: SVGinnyRae103.jpg]
I used 2x6 spruce to build up the bunks to support the sole of the boat, then covered them with outdoor carpeting.

Greg