BYYB Forums

Full Version: Another new builder/sailer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi. I am new to boat building, sailing (other then a couple of rides where I held the lines) and this forum. After retiring, in 1998, the idea of sailing became a goal. After reading some sailing mags and searching the internet, building a small sailboat became a dream. After deciding on making that sailboat from a Stevenson set of plans this forum became a bookmark. Then my wife walked out of the bathroom, in 1999, smiling and fatherhood became my reality.

Now, seven years later, the idea of building and sailing are once again prevalent. So in pursuit of those dreams I have ordered 2 sets of Stevenson's plans, one Triad and one Super-Skipjack. My intent is to build the Triad first then after some sailing and introspection the Super-Skipjack. With a bit of luck, some kind advice and a lot of work I hope to turn the dreams to reality.

Mark_Benbow

Welcome aboard Terry I'm sure you will be warmingly greeted I'm quite new to the forum myself but still found a community ready and willing to help with all thier experience. Its a great place to learn from people and to turn to when you make a booboo!
Thanks for the welcome. Since my last post I received the plans I had ordered. Unfortunately they were the wrong plans. The Triad plans are as ordered and seem very straight forward. The Skipjack plans were the older version, not the new Super-Skipjack.

I am attempting to contact the Stevensons. The phone number on the site is disconnected so email is the only method of contact. I remember reading in the forum that they were moving or something?

At any rate I will try and locate the different things on the Triad materials list and clear a spot in the shop. I live in Montana so finding anything other then "standard" is a challenge.

Again thanks for the welcome and hopefully I will have something to crow about soon. "Soon" being a very vague estimate.
Welcome Aboard Terry, If I can be of any assistance just let me know,
Good luck and post lots of pic's Big Grin

Brian.
Terry- Welcome Aboard. Most of the lumber can be found local. The epoxy, cloth, hardware, blocks cleats ect. you will probaly have to order when you need them. I would suggest you use epoxy for your glue. I prefer the Raka epoxy. they have a good price on there cloth. I think BYYB members get a small discount from them. Bill (sect tres.) will tell you. The forum is here to help you for the asking. Any mistakes you might make have already been made and someone can tell you how to fix it. So ask away. Now start making saw dust, Good Luck Bud Smile
P.S. Raka phone # 772-489-4070 internet catalog www.raka.com Bud.
I really appreciate the suggestions and ideas. I will look into the raka. I’ll post some pictures when it gets to a picture stage. It will be a bit as I don’t intend to start immediately.

I am currently trying to hunt down the pieces I need. I have 10 sheets of ¼” marine ply and 1 sheet of 3/8. One of the local lumber yards is getting me 2 more 3/8” and one ¾” sheet but they say at least 2 weeks on those.

I have some white oak, 1x10 10 feet and some mahogany 1x8 14 feet. I bought these 9 years ago, right after retirement but before the announcement of fatherhood. The mahogany is Honduran and no longer available according to the local lumber guys. I don’t want to use it on the Triad but might consider it on the SS.

Again thank you all for the welcome!

aaron_stokes

in what part of montana are you located? i am so far north in utah that i am almost in idaho. when you get you'r first ship done, we could probably plan a messabout some where in the middle. better still, i am always sailing around my general area. you are welcome to ride the daydream while you are building and are boat defficient.

Scott_King_Walker

Quote:Thanks for the welcome. Since my last post I received the plans I had ordered. Unfortunately they were the wrong plans. The Triad plans are as ordered and seem very straight forward. The Skipjack plans were the older version, not the new Super-Skipjack.

I am attempting to contact the Stevensons. The phone number on the site is disconnected so email is the only method of contact. I remember reading in the forum that they were moving or something?

The last I read was that the Super Skipjack plans were not yet ready for sale because they had not yet made the second boat to test the accuracy of the plans. Watch on the Super Skipjack thread here for updates.

Their ordering page says:
Quote:As always, if you're not pleased with the plans you receive, we will give you a refund, or exchange them.
so I suspect that they will swap them for you without a fuss. What you ordered almost certainly said "Skipjack", not "Super Skipjack", but I can see how it could confuse someone.

I wonder if they will end up calling the new boat something else? Hey, will we be doing a membership icon for the new boat design? Is anyone interested in getting a BYYB shirt made with a drawing of the new design?
Aaron, I live just outside Billings, Montana. Billings is almost dead center east to west and about 70 miles for the Wyoming boarded. Not many lakes around my area so when I do sail it will probably be in the Helena area. That’s about 150 mile due west of Billings. Thanks for the offer to go sailing!

Scott, (I hope it’s ok to use first names?) The Super-Skipjack pages, on the Stevenson’s site, make it sound like the new, improved Super-Skipjack is the default but the older plans are still available if someone wants them. That’s what made me think I was ordering the new version. Their ordering page just says Skipjack, but since there isn’t a listing for the Super-Skipjack I should have looked closer. I consider any error made to be on my side of the order.

It may be that my mistake is going to be a good one though. I am 6’ 2” and weigh about 280. My plan of building the Triad and then later the Super-Skipjack my not be the best plan. After looking over the Triad’s plans I notice that I would be sitting on a 10” wide, almost 7 foot long strip of 3/8” ply while piloting. I wonder if that would put to much stress on that part of the deck? It does have a strip of reinforcement under the edge but 280 is still a lot of weight. If I do build the Triad I think I would consider adding corbels in the middle somewhere? Any other ideas of suggestions would be appreciated.

Another idea would be to just make the older style Skipjack, since I already have the plans, instead of the Triad and then order the newer version, for a boat sans the drop board, when it is available. Either way I am not concerned about exchanging or returning plans as you can never have too many boat plans and I learned at least the price of each plan from reading them over already.

I also have a question about using fiberglass-epoxy butt joints when joining plywood? I found an article about it while snooping around the net and wonder what if anything forum members think of the idea? Here is a link to the article:

http://www.simplicityboats.com/epoxyknowhowcarnel.htm

Again thanks for the ideas and even an invite.
Welcome aboard Terry!
Pages: 1 2