BYYB Forums

Full Version: Mast stump, howh tight should it be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My mast stump is looking good and fitting nicely into the box. I do have some questions about a few things though. It does have a little bit of play at the oppening on the deck and it has a little play at the foot. I understand that I will be building a collar at the deck to deal with that, but what I'm wondering about is the foot. Thought it will be secure at the deck, I think it will be free to move a bit down there and what I'm seeing is wood on wood grinding away because of movement. I'm wondering if people put shims in there to tighten it up. Or if a cushion is called for between the mast and the sole to reduce potential wear and tear.
Tom, use a few wood shims. However when you have the rig up the stays keep it rigid but you want to start with the stump reasonably true so you aren't having to tune the rig with the stays each time you put it up.

The collar is important to keep the water out of the box, my box and sole developed some rot after 5 years, so I eliminated the front side of the box so the entire stump can breath. I had air holes and drainage holes in the box but it still got some rot so I built a foot for the stump and eliminated the front of the box.