BYYB Forums

Full Version: Barrier Coat and Paint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will be starting to glass my Weekender very soon.

No idea on the whole paint thing.

I am guessing I will put 3-4 coats of an epoxy based paint coating such as Interlux 2000.

Do I primer or just paint over the Interlux? Being a trailer sailor in fresh water, I don't need antifouling paint.

Man is this stuff expensive...seems to average $150/gal.

Any tips on paint selection (below and above water line) greatly appreciated..
Jeff, you don't need the barrier coat. It is primarily for fiberglass boats that have had problems with osmotic blistering. Generally late 70's and early 80's boats that developed problems from the chemical make up of the resins.

Use a good marine grade paint and you are good to go.
That is what I am starting to gather. I guess I will find a good marine primer and paint. Will likely stick with an Interlux product. Very expensive stuff though!
Jeff Interlux is a good choice. I might suggest you get it a quart at a time. I think you will find that two coats will be enough paint. I think two quarts will paint the exterior of a Weekender. (about 60 bucks) Angie can tell you how much paint Fat chance has been painted more than once. Bud Smile
No primer, just two quarts of Interlux paint will allow you to give it two good coats. You will really like this paint, it lays down great by just rolling and tipping with a dry brush. Smile It shines like a new penny a year later.
That interlux is good stuff, I used less than 2 quarts of primer and color paint to paint my Vacationer with a cup gun and it looks great. Now for the bottom I used some ablative bottom paint that I had laying around for several years and now I need to repaint it again but that was to be expected for a bottom paint. The topsides look great and seem to be standing up very well. Good luck with yours

Keith
If you plan to trailer your boat and not have extended stays on the water (more then a few days at a time), then you don't need anti fouling paint (bottom paint). You can use topside paint, maybe a nice contrasting color and a boot stripe all with the same type of paint. The high gloss topside paint will make the boat slightly (a fraction of a knot) faster, is easier to clean and looks a lot better then typical bottom paints.
Cool. Thanks.

After reading posts and contacting Interlux, I will be just painting with topside or similar paint. Some of those paints require primer, some don't...so I'll figure that out when I order.

Thanks for all the input.

BTW, I put another post up about me glassing this weekend. 6 hours, a gallon of wasted mixed epoxy (got a head of myself), several swear words, and epoxy coated knees, I successfully glassed the entire bottom, bow, transom, and hull. It was not fun. I learned though...I learned.