BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pointy end goes up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At long last I've got my Weekender's mast (mostly) assembled and put it up. Since I'm completely incapable of following directions, I used a heavy gate hinge for the aft portion. This is to allow the mast to pivot past 90 degrees - which I saw as a problem with "regular" hinges that I could find. I also put a tube inside the mast to use as a wiring run and have run some strings down it to fish the wires later. I've fished for an all-round light at the top of the mast and the "masthead" light at the front.

One mistake that I've made is that there's a slight gap between the top and bottom parts of the mast - I'll have to add some shims. Also there's a couple of small gaps in the glue where the laminated pieces join together. That needs to be sealed up as well.

Possibly in part because of the gap, the tabernacle joint is slightly wobbly so the next task will be to put in the chain plates and get the bow-sprit ready.

[Image: mast2.gif]
[Image: masttabernacle1.gif]
I just got hinges last weekend. The closest I could find were 2.5 inches wide, not the full three inches called for. I also noticed when I got home and after reading your post that my hinges don't go past 90 degrees either. Is this a big problem? I could see where it could be a problem.
My big concern was that if I forgot to put up a boom crutch, that there would be a chance that the hinges would be damaged or ripped out.

One alternative is to cut/grind the shoulders of the hinge down, or to install it the other way around.

Interestingly though, in all the years I've been following this board, I've never heard this discussed as an issue so perhaps its not.
Wow Andrew Your moving right along.. she's looking great.

Brian.