BYYB Forums

Full Version: Center Cockpit Vacationer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm planning a Vacationer build for this Fall/Winter. The idea occured to me to move the cabin aft and have a center cockpit. Any feedback?
First of all when you build your own boat, it's yours to do as you please. My opinion however is that your idea would make a great looking boat look odd. You would also have to re-engineer the steering which would take up space in your proposed cabin. Another problem I can see is motor access. Unless you have an electric start outboard with remote throttle and transmission you'll have quite a time motoring into a slip. It would also change to balance or the boat. Of course problems like that could be worked out and you would have a unique boat if you built it with an aft cabin. I just don't understand what it is you think you would gain by doing so. Keep us updated on your choices, it would be great to have another Vacationer under construction.

Keith
Thanks for the input Keith.

The idea came from the Chesapeake sloops of the 1700s. I have an idea for the steering problem. As for the motor, I was leaning towards an electric troller anyway.

My concern was balance. I was unsure whether I could pull off the look I was aiming for, but I planned on experimenting with the paper model first. I'm wondering, if I put the batteries well forward, would that counter any additional weight at the stern?

Brett

aaron_stokes

you are thinking the same thing i was. i am in the middle of a vacationer and was contemplating this:

[Image: scan.jpg]

it seems to me that the weight distribution should not change much unless you put a bunch of crap in the cabin while under way. i just don't think that the cabin walls and top weigh more than the average adult. this allows the builder to focus the majoraty of the weight in the middle of the boat...... is'nt that better? i don't know but i think it would. i don't think i am going to try it after all of the thought that i put in to it because i have too many projects as it is and i don't need to complicate my life further. i posted a string on this subject on the south west fleet board. it is titled "evil thoughts from the great north" if i remember right. there were a lot of great responces on that page. i hope this helps. i also planned on putting the steering wheel up front just behind the mast.

where are you located anyway?? what state?
Thanks Aaron, I don't feel so crazy now. : ) I was thinking about a full-width cabin and putting the wheel where you had it or rigging some sort of binnacle, depending on how the cockpit sized out.

I'll have to find those posts you mentioned. I still plan on playing around with the paper models. I'll try to post some Pix of the model when I get it worked out, unless I can work out a line drawing.

I just read something on another website about trying to make small boats look like like their larger traditional cousins. It basically said that suggestion and discretion were called for otherwise the smaller boat would look silly and perform horribly. It's so hard to hold back! Where will I mount the cannons?!!

Kansas City, MO is where I call home for the time being. Anyone for a Mid-west Fleet?

Brett
Interesting plan guys. As for binnacles, I copied Kevin Green's idea, it works well. Some of the "feel" that tiller, or stock steering offers, is missing though. The system would work real well for your application. I store my anchor, batteries, and camping gear in my bow to counter the weight in the stern.

Greg[/img]
Being new to the Stevenson community, I am unfamiliar with Kevin's setup. The way I was planning to rig the binnacle is essentialy the stock system extended forward. I'm hoping I wouldn't lose any feel. Of course nothing beats a tiller in that regard.

I started playing with the paper model this evening. My efforts are rather crude, but it gives me a good idea how the lines will be affected. So far I'm not dissapointed. As soon as I come up with some photos or drawings, I will post them.

Thanks to everyone for the great input. It's great to find a community like this!

Brett
Synchronicity strikes again! I just read Steve Goodman's post on his steering mod with the through-hull blocks. That's close to what I had in mind for rigging my steering. Insted of turnbuckles, I would put springs inside the transom to help keep tension. This also helps with shock loads and helps to give some feel back to the wheel.

Brett