BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rope inlayed in rub rails?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking of routering a small groove in the rub rails and inlaying small diameter nautical rope, partly for looks, partly for function (would rather replace rope than rub rail).
I'd think moisture might collect in the rope, and cause water damage in the routed slot. You'll have to seal the rope real well. I used ash for my rub rail, and it's doing fine in my 4th sailing season. The little dings, and dents add character to the vessel, that's my .02 cents, almost par with yours down there. :lol: :wink:

Greg
A three strand, let into a cove is attractive to some folks, though I personally think it's kind of lubberly. If you avoid natural fibers and stick with polyester and either bed it very well (3M 101) or epoxy it to the cove, you can have some protection. A polyester double braid, well soaked with epoxy and placed in similar fashion on the leading edge of center/dagger boards and rudder blades, is a very effective method of protecting the edge. If you bed it, having a good seal will always haunt you. Epoxied down it will be a non-issue and will tolerate much more abuse.
Mind you, "real sailors" sling old tires over the side :lol:
All good debate...except for the tire post...that was just plain funny.

I'll probably make a mock-up of one to see how it looks and will likely soak both materials (wood and rope) in clear penetrating epoxy sealer. I'll post a picture if I actually do it.