BYYB Forums

Full Version: Where to get chainplates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where are others getting their chainplates and straps for the boom? I thought bosun's Supply or West Marine would have them, but I'm not having any luck yet. Also, does anyone have a source for the tabernacle and locking hinge on the other side?
Head to your local machine shop. They will be able to make them out of scraps, mine are stainless and cost about $7 each and were predrilled (granted that was 6 years ago, but they shouldn't be too much).
Glen-L and a number of other sites (like www.duckworksmagazine.com) sell pre made chainplates. You can also get chain plates from Schaefer Marine and other rigging manufactures. West Marine has them too, but want your first born for them.

If you plan on much salt water use for your boat then insist on 316 or better yet 316L grade stainless. 304 will be suitable if you plan on staying in sweet water (fresh) all the time.
Tom As Angie says your local machine shop is your best bet. I also had my tabernacle made there. I like the pin better than the hinges. I had mine made with all four sides up to the top of the stump, the back and sides the rest of the way. Three holes in the side plates one to bolt to the stump, one at the top to hinge on and one in the middle to pin your mast up. Make your tabernacle high enough so your mast will clear the cabin when you let it down and leave your back peice low enough so your mast will hinge down to 90 deg. You can install a removable boom crutch, let the mast down wrap up your sail and be on the road. I would also suggest Duckworks for your goose neck. Another two cents worth Bud. Smile