BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tiller design
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've opted to use a tiller instead of a steering wheel. I think I've seen a few pictures where others have done the same. I'm wondering about what modification would be necessary for rigging. The plans have that swivel
block mounted on the transom, but with the tiller coming across, that will have to be changed. In a recent issue of wooden Boat, I saw a set up that had an elevated bar across the transom with a block affixed to that. Any ideas out there?
Tom, many of us have used a tiller without using a horse (the raise bar across the transom). Simply use a single block on each side of the transom and eliminate the horse. One of the guys will post a diagram of this, I am not computer savvy enough (or I bet you can find it in the archives, it is a routinely asked question) Good luck.
Easiest way is to use a rope instead of the raised bar (called a horse). Attach a rope (traveller) to both sides of your transom leaving some slack so that the tiller can easily pass under. Buy a ring or shackle that you can attach to your mainsheet block and let run freely on the traveller and there you go. An alternative is to tie your mainsheet to the port side of your transom, run it thorugh a double block on your boom, back down to a pully on the starboard side, back up to the double block on the boom, and down to a single block on the transom. This arrangement gives a little more leverage to reduce sail twist but leaves a lot more line to get tangled around your motor and etc... Personally, I like the traveller line for its simplicity.

Below is a picture of my Little Gem. The traveller rope is green and is tied on either side to an open-based cleat which is handy to have at the stern anyway. I used a ring to slide on the traveller rope. Right now the mainsheet is tied to one of the cleats so the boom doesn't flop around int he wind.

[Image: IMG_2823_edited.JPG]
Tom- The way I like it rigged best is put an eye bolt on the bottom of the boom, hang a single block on it,put a single on the stb. side and a single with a pivoting exit with a can cleat on the port. make your line fast through the eye bolt, go down to the single on the stb. back up to the single on the boom, down to the single with the cam cleat on port, leave this line long enough to let your boom all the way out. This one line will be your boom line, and also work some as a down haul to keep your boom from riding up. It will also be up out of the way of the tiller. My two cents worth Bud. :wink:
Tom, I was referring to what Pop and I both have on our boats. I like it better than the rope traveler Scott describes because it acts like a boom vang and helps take some of the twist out of the sail so you can actually point a little higher than with the rope traveler. It is all personal preference, either works great and both are simple solutions to rigging the sheet for the main.
Oh yeah, Bud, that set up sounds pretty good! My guess is that what you mean by "making your line fast" to the eyebolt is to secure one end of the line to it. Is that right? Do you attach your blocks to the rubrail or the deck or does it matter. My guess is that the rub rail has more meat to bite into and would make a better choice. Also, how far back do you set these? Perhaps midway between the cockpit and back of the transom? I'm also not sure what you mean by: single with a pivoting exit with a can cleat on the port. What's a pivoting exit? I suspect "can" is a typo for a cam cleat? Any chance of posting a picture of your set up? Thanks for the idea. It does sound very good.
Tom Making your line fast means, put the line through the eye bolt making a small loop and tie a knot in it. (bowlin). I put eye bolts through the deck with a small block of wood under the deck for extra strength. I used a small clevis to attach the block with a spring around it to hold it upright. I put the eyebolt in the boom all the way back for leverage and the side blocks all the way back, mine are about 8 inches in frount of the transom. The futher back you put them the more out of the way they are. A single with a pivoting exit and cam cleat. Look in one of the parts catalog for a picture ( west marine ect. ) Tom I am rude crude and socially unexceptable and don't know how to post a picture. But if you will go to the photo gallery South East Fleet at Indian Pass 2006 there are two or three shots of Magnolia in it. Maube you can get an ideal. Bud Smile
That's a big help Bud...Thanks a lot!!!!
i switched from wheel to tiller and have been very happy....

i tie the line fast to one side of the transom through and eye and then run it up to a pulley on the boom and then back down to a single swivel pulley on a spring (on the other side of the transom) and then back up to the back of the boom (ideally this would be to a double pulley but I don't have one so I use two separate pulleys) and then down the boom with a eylet thingy to keep the rope from drooping and then through another pulley near the cabin and hold the sheet like that. I don't ever have hang up with the tiller - which by the way can lift so, i can scoot to the other side quickly if i want - but it does sometimes hang up on the motor.

a.
and - i stole another person's idea (from this forum) for making the tiller - I took an AXE and traced the shape on a 2x6 which I then cut on the bandsaw and then screwed to a piece of plywood. I sliced some mahogany and maple and then just went to town with plastic resin glue and clamps.....it sits in the sun and more than a year later is looks as good as new -

[Image: IMGP1191.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1187_001.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1202.jpg]

didn't take long to shape and clean - I used a jointer and a orbital sander

a.
Pages: 1 2 3