BYYB Forums

Full Version: Remember my paint woes???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A while back I posted details of problems I was having with Valspars's Severe Weather paint which I used on my hull. As some of you may recall, the problem was that it didn't seem to cure at all. If you went out to look at it in the morning and if you saw any areas where moisture may have accumulated, you would see the paint literally raise up off the surface! Later in the day as it warmed up, it would recede back to the surface and you would never know there was a problem unless you saw it in the morning. My assumption was that this must be due to operator error and I was doing something to create the problem. The only thing I could think of was that because we get a lot of fog most nights, I would close up the tarp I keep over her. With the heat of the day being trapped like that, my guess was that I was creating even more moisture than what the fog was bringing.

So, when I rolled her over and I began to paint the deck, I set up the tarp like a tent over her allowing the paint to get plenty of air 24/7. Confident that this would answer my problem, like a fool, I used the same paint!! Needless to say I had the same problem!! I did a test section, removing the Valspar paint and in its place I put on some Behr's. Perfect!!!!! So, for the past week I've been removing that Valspar and applying Behr's. Finally today, I got the cockpit done. I lost a lot of time on this fiasco and I still have to return to the hull to do the same thing.

I sure hope no one else goes through such an agonizing ordeal!!
I used Valspar on my hull and it finally did cure. For the first six months or so, it would change color when it got wet. Now it doesn't and the paint is 6 years old and still in great shape.
Tom, sounds like you might not have gotten the blush off of your epoxy. I have had this problem several times despite scrubbing the hull before painting. Seems like I have to paint and peel once before paint will stick sometimes! Hope it works out as I know from personal experience how much a bummer it is to have to peel off your paint and redo.
Actually, I have several coats of primer between the paint and epoxy. I can't imagine the epoxy would effect it, but it's obvious that I'm no expert on this. Needless to say, I just can't find it in myself to have any confidence in a product that blisters up when wet and settles back down when warm and dry. It's a boat!!!!! for crying out loud! The Behrs, on the other hand is behaving beautifully and I think it will work out fine for me.
How 'bout some of that outhouse paint Craig was talking about? :lol:
Primer doesn't seem to fix the problem in my experience. Whatever doesn't make paint stick seems to pass right through porous primer. On Little Gem I painted with primer and then with latex porch enamel both Behr brand. I also used Behr brand on the deck. The Behr on the hull on top of the oil based primer blistered when it got wet and I ended up peeling it off in great sheets. Come to think of it, the hull wasn't even newly epoxied. Seemed to be a problem with the primer alone! I ended up repainting with Innerlux topside paint and it seems to be sticking now. Never did have a problem with the Behr paint on the deck which was painted onto a brand-new never-been-painted epoxied surface. I am confused and just hate paint sometimes Cry

Larry Thomas

I also had this experience both on the boat, and in my house. I used high gloss latex paint on my hull, and on some trim and accent walls in my house. Two different brands, and 3 colors and in all cases the high gloss paint took forever to cure while the flat and satin latex cured overnight
Don't understand this deal. You spend big money on lumber screws hardware not to mention the hours. Then you save $4.32 by using house paint, poarch enamal or some othe paint not made for boats and can't understand why it don't work. The paint co. spend big money researching for the best paint for the job at hand. House paint for houses, poarch paint for porches, Airplain paint for Airplanes and Boat paint for boats. What is so hard about this? Don't understand. Bud Confusedhock:
Over the weekend while I was working a friend dropped by. He's a bit of a celebrity in the world of hot rods and high end custom car paint. We were talking about my nightmare and he said his experience over the last several years has been that because paint companies seem to change ownership fairly often I'm afraid that their real concern is more about profit than it is about making a reliable superior product. He informed me that Valspar is not the same company it was five years ago. I have some flat paint by them that cures just fine, it's just been this semi gloss; both used over the same epoxy/primer surface. Rod tells me that professional car painters are also having the same kinds of problems. It all seems like a bit of a crap shoot to me. Anyway, I've at least found a paint I'm happy with and for that I'm thankful! Though it's been several months, my guess is that when I roll her back over and attack the hull I'll probably still be able to pull up the paint after a good soaking. We'll see.
Tom I am quiet a celebrity myself ( in my own mind ) I still say in this crap shoot, your best bet is Boat paint for Boats. I bet your friend has been using Boat paint on his Hot Rods is the reason he is having trouble, Tell him Hot Rod paint for Hot Rods next time he comes buy. Bud :wink: