BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tiller arm hole in Transom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Perry Burton

Has anyone had any water come in through the Tiller arm hole in the Transom? on the Weekender model or the Vacationer?
I was wondering.
In six years - none at all. I worried about it too but so far the boat has always ridden over swells, wakes and anything else coming from astern.
Perry I have found if water comes through the tiller hole it will usually also break over the transom and you will never notice the small amount that came through the hole. Worry about something else. It will beaurite. Bud :wink:
I shared your concern of water entering the tiller opening, in the first 3 years of sailing my Vacationer, I only had water get in once, conditions were 5 ft waves breaking on my stern, (shouldn't been out, but the weather turned, and I had to get home). This spring I cut a piece of bike inner tube, put a slit in it for the tiller, and screwed from the inside to the transom to cover the opening, I haven't been in nasty weather to test it, I firgure in should work.

What part of the "Rock" are you living to?
Greg i was thinking of doing the same thing You did but in addition i was going to install a hose clamp on the tiller handle and run the rubber under it and clamp it to the handle, Kind of like a stick shift boot.

Brian.

Perry Burton

Bud. I see your point Smile when I have been out in motor boat that was usually the case for water breaching over the back motor well. (smarter people are ashore by then)

Greg. Yeah a rubber barrier would keep all but the most determined waves out. A great idea.
I'm in the St Johns area. the part that gets the most fog. (see Guiness book of records for foggiest place in the world, "Argentia" its 1 hour drive from me) Luckily the harbor that i'm in sees very little fog and pretty good sailing weather.
I only get water when the 9.9 is set to 3/4 power or more. The water piles up under the motor mount and spills a little into the tiller hole. A little well applied rag wrench cleans it right up.