BYYB Forums

Full Version: Boat Trailers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am in the market for a new trailer for my Weekender. Yes I am buying new, but only because I cannot find a used one within close proximity and I don't have the time to build one.

Ok, So I have a question about this. When purchasing a new trailer (Yacht Club, or EZ-Loader, etc) What length should I buy to accomodate a weekender?

I have an SUV so the bow sprit is an issue. I was looking at either a trailer which accomodates a 16' - 18' boat or a trailer that accomodates an 18' - 20' boat. I'm not sure what the tounge length is so here I am. Basically my vehicle needs to be able to turn fully with out having to worry about the bow sprit.

Thanks.
Hey Shawne

I took the advice of many who post on this form and bought a new 18’ EZ-Loader bung trailer with the wide axle.
With a trailer mounted spare, tags, and taxes the cost was $1300.00.US.
It tows like it’s not even there. This past summer I rigged a temporary kayak rack packed 5 kayaks on it, and towed it 2200 miles in 2 weeks.
The Weekender fits well on the trailer.
I'll look up the model # and post it later.

Kayakarl
Shawne,
Thge EZ Loader 14-17 with a capacity of 1250# and 13" wheels is about the smallest you could go with a Weekender and have good traveling security. I would get the galvanized version with a spare wheel and bearing buddies, but then I'm on the Left Coast and would be dropping into salt a lot.

The longer version that Karl is mentioning would be nicer and tow a bit better due to its slightly longer length and heavier weight. But there are a whole lot of the 14-17 versions available in both galvanized or painted frames.
Thanks for thw replies.

Karl, The 18' model you have - Is that a 18' accomodation or the overall length of the trailer is 18'?

Barry,

I have looked and looked for a used trailer around here and there really are none to be found. I am planning on going to look around some more, but I have e-mailed every boat/marine shop in the province and have not been able to turn up a used trailer.

Eitherway, the longer trailer may be the way to go strictly for the clearance of my vehicle. Being an SUV it's pretty tall at the back. Tha last thing I want is the bow sprit taking out the back window.

Thanks again guy's for the info. Karl, if you can find a model number that would be great.

P.S. - we have some custom trailer manufacturers here in town, I may be able to get them to build one for a decent price as well.

Cheers.
Shawne

The trailer is 18.5’ from the center of the ball to back edge of the bungs, and 66” +/- inside the fenders.
In these pictures you can see how the boat sits on the trailer. The boats position on the trailer needs to be adjusted. It needs to be moved back about 6” to 8", and the bungs need adjustment. I also plan to add a center keel track.
The trailers also come with sealed oil bath bearings. NICE!!!
LED trailer lights NICE!!!!

[Image: TRAILER2.jpg]

[Image: TRAILER1.jpg]

Kayakarl
Mice looking trailer Karl - love the LED lights. I found that the best position for my weekender on its trailer was with the bottom of the cabin bulkhead just a couple of inches aft of the axel. This gives about 125# of tongue weight.
It is a nice trailer, but a bitlonger than you really need for a Weekender. Makes for great distance hauling though, especially with the larger 14" wheels. Having bunks that extend that far aft makes for more support for the hull. With a keel channel the channel holds the majority of the weight and the bunks establish the balance and some support. The longer bunks make it a bit more difficult time getting the boat on and off with shallow ramps. Setting the boat further back on the trailer will allow for more bow sprit room and keep the trailer balanced better with less tongue weight and still provide more than adequate support for the hull. Also allows for the boat to be launched easier and retrieved easier. The LED lights are great now that they are available.

So it is a bit of a trade off. If you are planning on a lot of long distance hauling it will make a difference. Buteven a little shorter trailer with a bit less capacity will haul great with the boat positioned well on the trailer and the axle set to allow for reasonable tongue weight. Also no problem with bow sprit clearance even with a van. Also a finished Weekender weights in with gear at just over 800# ready to go.
that is a nice trailer --- i know for sure i would go with the larger trailer if i bought new since sailing in Nevada often means long distance travel anyways....that aluminum sure beats the piece of junk that i am getting in shape --- i had to borrow a friends wire feed welder to put the new hangers on my nasty and rusted old trailer...but if it gets me through the summer then it will have been worth it:

[Image: weld.jpg]

i am an old fashioned stick welding gal --- so no laughing at my welds :roll:

a.

i have trailer envy!!!
Dang Adla, that looks good to me. I've never welded in my life so I'm not sure what my welds would look like. I need to replace the gizmo on the tongue that raises and lowers the tongue, the part with the wheel. I hit a roll gutter and banged the wheel so hard it popped the gear so I'm looking for something with a flat pad I guess, that will raise out of the way.
Have a look at the trailer I used to haul the boat home. I can work with a smaller trailer but it needs to have a longer tounge on it to accomodate moving the boat fore or aft to get the ideal balance while still giving me tounge wieght.

Thanks for the help. I will check out some of the manufacturers here in town first. One place I spoke with quoted me $2400.00.......I think my heart stopped for a second. I won't be phoning him back.

[Image: DSCF1721_Small.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1722_new.JPG]
Pages: 1 2