BYYB Forums

Full Version: Mini-Cup Modifications (Cheap Thrills)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

davideagen

I'm thinking of building a mini-cup to get some practice in before building a Super Skipjack. I've seen some pictures in the gallery of the mini-cup Cheap Thrills. I like the jib/main and wooden mast modifications that boat had.

Is there a place to find common modifications like that or do I need to just wing it? This will be the first boat and first major woodworking project I've done so if there are some sort of instructions to go off it would increase my chance of success!

-Dave

Mark_Benbow

heya david I'm in the last week (hopefully) of my minicup and yes there are some instructions (other than the free plans) if you check this site there is a minicup FAQ that I really really wish I could go back in time to check before I started my build!!!

http://byyb.org/pn761/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=5

thats the link I believe.
if you have any question about specifics just ask theres plenty of us that learnt the hard way ( at least I hope I'm not the only one!! lol)

I did differ from everything I have seen on my sails (poly) I didn't like the sleeve thing so I went another route if you are interested let me know.
I know that one of the issues Kris had with going to the sloop rig on his MiniCup was that the hull wasn't designed to support the tension of the shrouds and forestay and he had some cracking in his hull from that.

If you allow for that, you quite possibly will be fine. Every indication is that the boat sailed well. Kris doesn't hang around here much, but he's a nice guy and still has his website up and would probably answer email
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/krisnichol...index.html

davideagen

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

-Dave
When I was a younger man, we used to experiment on small craft like you can't imagine. We'd lighten the crap out of them, using hole and jig saws, usually adding more area and then the wings went on. Just think of how much faster you can go, if you reduce the wetted surface by 50%, because a dagger foil has lifted the forward half of the boat clean clear of the water. Hold on . . .