BYYB Forums

Full Version: Identifying fiberglass matt versus cloth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I tell what I bought. Previous threads said to stay away from the matt. Not sure what I have. Also, I have 3.5 weight, seems like most people perfer heavier stuff? I also have kevlar for the keel...probably should have gotten it for chines too..but oh well.
Jeff,
You have cloth, not mat. A fiberglass mat is thicker, randomly spun, not woven with lots of open space between the fibers.

3.5 oz is pretty light weight cloth, but it will work. It isn't for strength it is for finish. Since it is so light weight, it doesn't hold much resin, nor is it going to be very sandable. But you are supposed to sand the resin, not the cloth. Avoid doing a lot of sanding of the plywood before applying he cloth. The more you sand before, the more uneven the surface will be and the more resin and filling you will need to level it.

When you sand the plywood, you take out the softer portion of the grain and leave the harder grain proud.

There have been many discussions of how best to apply the fabric and resins so I won't go back over that. Just remember that you need to have the wood sealed, the fabric laid and additional coats of resin applied that will completely fill the weave of the cloth and give you something to sand other than the cloth itself.
Jeff you can put two layers of the3.5 oz down if yo wish a thicker layer of glass. Where is Haslett? Don't enclose the keel withthe kevlar. Just apply to the bottom as a shoe for abrasion resistance. If you sail sand bottom lakes it is over kill; however, rocky shores demand it.
Thanks for the replies. Yup...the kevlar will only be along the bottom of the keel. As far as prepping prior to glass, I have a clear penetrating epoxy sealer by Smith Coat that I am applying prior to glassing. I guess, I will just be careful sailing with having such a light cloth and I am one to do immediate repairs upon having a ding...