BYYB Forums

Full Version: Saw Blades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mac_McKelvy

I was considering buying a plywood cutting blade for my circular saw to use when cutting out my deck pieces. I've never used a circular saw for (intentionally) cutting curves, so I am unsure if the blade-type is relevant when it comes to controlling the saw through the cut. Does it really make any difference?

Mac
I would use a plywood blade for the curve cutting, as it has more and smaller teeth. in fact thats what I have done, but don't take my word for it, as I am still a newbie at this stuff Big Grin

Brian.
Get a carbide blade with lots of teeth 40-60. It will last a long time and cut without splintering your wood. Now if you plan on cutting lumber with the grain (ripping) you'll want a blade with fewer teeth 12 or so. Have fun, be careful and drink a beer after you're done cutting

Keith

Mac_McKelvy

I have several good carbide blades so I'm covered there. I use my table saw for ripping, but I think I will try the plywood blade for cutting the curves. To me that is the iffyiest part of the procedure (well, not counting the birdsmouth cutting) because I usually use a jigsaw for curves. Once I did some reading about using the circular it made sense, but it makes me nervous (big saw = big mistake).

Ahhh beer after cutting. That actually explains a lot. Wink

Thanks,

Mac

DavidGale

I was worried about this too but the video with the weekender plans gave a great demonstration of using the circular saw to cut curves.

Most important thing to remember when cutting curves with the circular saw is to set the blade depth to only as deep as you need to get through the other side...

When cutting through through thicker materials or when cutting sharper curves, first make a shallow cut then set the blade a little deeper and cut again.

I was terrified of my circular saw before I started my boat project Smile

Mac_McKelvy

Quote:I was worried about this too but the video with the weekender plans gave a great demonstration of using the circular saw to cut curves.

Most important thing to remember when cutting curves with the circular saw is to set the blade depth to only as deep as you need to get through the other side...

When cutting through through thicker materials or when cutting sharper curves, first make a shallow cut then set the blade a little deeper and cut again.

I was terrified of my circular saw before I started my boat project Smile

Thanks David - that eases my mind a bit! My first real try will be with the keel pieces, so hopefully any mistakes will be either cheap or fixable Smile
Quote:I was terrified of my circular saw before I started my boat project Smile

Ditto that thing was scary to me as well but its like an extention of my arm now.

Brian.

J Stephen Mustico

I used an 18 vold DeWalt cordless circular saw.

The blade is much smaller. That helps alot. the only thing I used a jigsaw on was the really tight curve where the deck meets the cabin bulhead (for the cockpit).

Stephen