BYYB Forums

Full Version: Another new builder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

kentbuckner

Hey folks,

I am now the proud owner of a new set of vacationer plans. I have been looking/lurking around the Stevenson's site for a few years now. I'm not sure what took so long actually, but here I am.

A short introduction is in order I suppose. I live in Crestview, Florida, just a few miles from the last BEER. I am currently working on a father/son project with my fifteen year old. We are building a Uncle John's 12 foot sailing skiff.

I've never sailed before, ever! So I guess this little skiff will be a building primer and a good excuse for us to figure this sailing thing out.

Thanks to Keith and Bill for helping me get aboard the forum and I will keep everyone informed as the sailing lessons and lumber collections continue. Also, thanks to Craig Gleeason for his guidance in my project as well.

Kent

Mac_McKelvy

Hi Kent - glad to see I'm not the only one just now stepping into this madness. Like you I spent a couple of years reviewing various plans and I finally settled on the Triad.

Good luck!

Mac

kentbuckner

Yeah, I have and continue to look at other plans. I have been wanting to build for a few years now. It took time to finish my garage and get other things in order, but here I am.

Mac_McKelvy

I hear ya. I figure if I survive my dinghy experience I'll move up to one of the larger boats. I'm still working on getting the garage in order, but I've got enough room now to get started.
Welcome Aboard Kent,
The Vacationer is an awsome boat, I'm in the middle of building one M'self
and have been lucky enough to have been on two of them they are easy to handle and not too hard to build unless your like me and have no idea what your doing. but thanks to the kind folks here it became possable for me to build this boat.
If You have any questions dont hesitate to ask, there are a couple of trouble spots on the plans like lofting the decks here is a revised version of the plan...
[Image: loftdecl.jpg.jpg]

Good luck and like i said dont hesitate to ask.

Brian

James Sanders

Ahoy Kent,

Welcome aboard! I know where Crestview is. My family lived in Pace when I was a young boy. Glad to hear you've met Keith Mclean, Craig Gleason, and Bill Olney. They're the kind of people who will go out of their way to be of help.

Good luck on your boat building.
Glad to see another Vacationer builder!
Welcome aboard from the presently warm north. Good choice on the Vacationer, happy building. Ask questions, someone on this board has probably seen it or done it, and will offer their 2 cents.

[Image: thumb_SV_Ginny_Rae_126_cropped.jpg]

Greg

kentbuckner

Thanks for the welcome guys! I am on the hunt for wood. If I don't run into any malfunctions I will have the wood collected in the next few months and build like a fool this winter.

My son and I are working on a Uncle John's 12 foot sailing/skiff now to play with whiile we build the Vacationer.

I have already named the Vacationer. I will be naming her "Gracie". To make a long sobbing story short, my son had a horse that had a baby and in a few months I talked him into selling her. Worst thing I ever did...Anyway I haven't told him about the name yet. It's gonna be a surprise when she is completed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9448457@N02/

This link is a few shots of the skiff in progress. I have made more progress I just haven't taken the photo's yet.

Happy Building!