BYYB Forums

Full Version: Fitting Fibreglass Cloth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Richard_Smith

I am about to fibreglass the top. It looks like this will mean a lot of cutting and fitting of the cloth. I want to keep the number of seams to a minimum. I am thinking I can do this best if I try to work it it so that as many of the seams as possible end up on the inside corners. With 40" cloth this may not be completely possible. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to arrange the cloth for best results?

I definitely plan to precoat the wood and precut the cloth before sticking it down.

James Sanders

Ahoy Richard,

I can understand your concerns about seams. I felt the same way myself, but honestly, a good butt joint worked out very well for us. Indeed, you can overlap the fiberglass and then cut both segments with a razor knife. Once we sanded and added a filler, no one could see the joint.

Don't fret here, just be sure to get a smooth surface and work out all the bubbles. Such are my thoughts, but I am the least qualified to talk about fiberglass and epoxy. I can only share with you what worked for us.
Yep, what Jim says. Butt joints and fill the weave. Nothing to it. 8)