BYYB Forums

Full Version: Thus the work proceeds: Monkey Boards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

James Sanders

And thus the work proceeds;
the two tackles hoisting and lowering simultaneously;
both whale and windlass heaving, the heavers singing,
the blubber-room gentlemen coiling, the mates scarfing,
the ship straining, and all hands swearing occasionally,
by way of assuaging the general friction. —Herman Melville

Ahoy,

Of late, we've been talking monkey boards, hawse, and kevel. You might say we've been discussing matters we know little or nothing about. You'll have to wait on the hawse and kevel. In the meantime, however, here is a photo of an upcoming monkey board (upcoming, because the monkey board is not yet finished.)

[Image: Monkey3.jpg]

Yes, you are right. There's not much here, but there is a good reason such planking is called a monkey board. There is another word for monkey board, but at the moment that word escapes me. Besides, I rather like the term, monkey board. We think it adds a nice detail to our boat and to our nautical vocabulary.

(In the meantime, though, maybe salts like Paul Riccelli or Barry Pyeatt could give us another word for monkey board. You have to admit, monkey board doesn't sound all that important. Yet, it is important enough if you want to impress your friends and you have friends like mine.)

Lurking in the background is the silhoutte of the obnoxious Samson post. That post is always trying to muscle his way into any photo we take. Here is another look at the unfinished monkey board, but this time the view is from the deck itself.

[Image: Monkey4.jpg]

What? You want to know why a Samson post is sometimes called a mooring bitt? I'm not a good one to ask, but from what I can garner, a true Samson post must be hefty and must be attached to the keel itself. Our Samson post qualifies on both accounts. Near the stern we have some wimpy mooring bitts.

Wait, wait, another familiar silhoutte just emerged from the shadows into early morning light. Could it be? Yes, I think so—

[Image: Monkey1.jpg]

That profile could only belong to one sea dog— the famous and fearless Sheba Girl. Undoubtedly, she is aboard inspecting the monkey board and bulwark.

[Image: Monkey2.jpg]

I'm pleased to tell you that we passed inspection! Sheba Girl barked out her approval. Like the rest of us (me included), she wants to know when this boat might be on the water. Launch is right around the corner! We'll keep you posted.

Just hope Willy Schlein does not bad-mouth our monkey boards too much.
Hi Jim; sorry i missed your call last night. We are up north again in Heber and the cell phone reception is just terrible.

now will you please stop monkeing around and get that boat done! i fear that you have misinterpreted Shebas barking to mean approval as opposed to other orders.

the pride of the fleet is resting on your shoulders, don't disappoint us.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Bill Olney called yesterday. He's back from another adventure and thinking about the next boat he will build. At the moment, he has his heart set on a lapstrake.

Bill, of course, asked about the monkey rail. I told him as much as I knew, which was not very much. I did, however, try to make the monkey board sound more important than what it was.

Bill was a little under-impressed with the monkey rail, even stating that he could see little difference in the monkey rail and the bulwark. Well, what could I do? I decided to take another look myself and take another photo or two. After all, if Bill could see little or no difference, then maybe other salts and ne'r-do-wells here at BYYB probably could see no difference either.

This was all disconcerting, very disconcerting. Here, then are a couple of photos, each contrasting port with starboard. Port does not yet have a monkey rail, but starboard does. Maybe you can see a difference, but then again, maybe not.

[Image: port3.jpg]

The distant perspective does give a general outline, contrasting port with starboard. The monkey rail is the lighter wood in the background. Maybe a close-up would be clearer.

[Image: port4.jpg]

Yes, now the monkey rail is immediately evident. "What about in crashing seas with waves all about, will people notice the monkey rails then?" you ask. Probably not. In fact, most folks will never comment on the monkey rails even when the boat is at dock. Such a thought is distressing, but Sheba Girl seems impressed with the monkey rails, and maybe that's a good reason to have built them. When you're just 8 inches high at the shoulder falling overboard is not something you relish doing.
James First let me say you are doing a fine job. Second let me say I almost fainted when I saw your photo of the monkey boards and noticed you didn't have a Dorade under your cowl vent. My thought was well Paul is getting that dreded sometimers and has not told James about dorades. Then my computer went off line for a couple of days when I came back I see someone has. Anyway I have two cowls with dorades under them on my Magnolia, I also have the prints on how to buils them, No formula just how cut the peaces and put them togather. The info came out of a May 1994 Crusing World, Step-by-step Refit by Joseph O'Flynn. I am sure you will get more info on this than you need but if not let me know and I will send you a copy. My guess on monkey boards name is that since a deck hands nick name was deck apes a board to help him was called monkey boards just my guess Smile Bud.

James Sanders

Ahoy Bud,

Thanks for the nice comments. The Magnolia is a beautiful boat. I really like her bright work. I looked over some photos, but was unable to see the cowl vents. Maybe you placed the vents on the forepeak deck?

How are the Dorade ventilators working out for you?