BYYB Forums

Full Version: Ready to flip?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think I'm ready to flip my Weekender this weekend. I've got the cabin roof on and fiberglassed and the deck fiberglassed. I have some patching/filling/sanding to do, but thought I'd leave that until the boat is right-side up again.

Is there anything else I should try to have finished before the flip? I'm planning on using a block and tackle on the bow eye and a very solid stern eye-bolt that I can use to lift the boat up while I remove, rebuild, and replace the dolly.
[Image: SternUnfinished.gif]
Sounds to me like you're ready to go. It should be an easy job. I flipped my Vacationer upside down with help from one other person without any problems. When it came time to put her back upright I did it competely alone, now I don't recommend you do it that way but it can be done if you're carefull and creative. Keep working hard and you'll be sailing in no time

Keith
Awsome, Andrew yer moving right along, good luck with the flip.

Brian.
Good luck Andrew.
As always, I am interested in how you are doing over in central Canada.
On the left coast, I have flipped and am about to reflip. Mind you, I haven't fibreglassed the deck yet, so we are at roughly the same spot in the build.

My flip was much more uneventful than I imagined. Just rolled her over.

So my real question is, what are you telling people is you launch date??
I keep saying, "the end of July", but I think I am fooling myself. It may be labour day before she sees the water.

Lots of details left.

All the best,
Steven Goodman
(Future S/V Isla)
Actually I've been telling people "next spring". I still have to save the money for a trailer as well as do all the rigging. I know from past experience that the finishing can take a lot of time, as can keeping up on all the other things around the house I need to do.

Fortunately I already have a little sailboat that I can take out when the urge hits me.
Hey guys. I am almost ready to flip. I am finishing the final sanding, filleting and fairing of the top side this weekend. After flipping I will be finishing the bottom then glassing, re-flipping and glassing. I am almost considering just laying down one inch polystyrene down on the ground and rolling the boat over..... not sure yet.

As far as being ready to glass... I basically am planning on removing the front hatch assembly, the cabin top hatch assembly, then glassing then installing that stuff back on. So, I do NOT have any of the rudder or steering assembly done, the bits, the lee boards, or any trim, but I think that is all stuff you put on after glassing.
It's over!

Flipping even a Weekender is a tough job for one person. Fortunately I've learned patience over the years :lol: and had lots of rope. I was able to hoist the boat by the bow and stern and turn it over. The last bit from on it's side to upside down was rather abrupt, but since the boat was suspended, I believe no harm was done.

As usual, most of my careful plans had to be abandoned once things started. The modifications I was going to make to the dolly turned into a couple of buckets on a board and padding the front end with old rags. This is certainly less stable than when right-side up so the family is warned to stay back.

[Image: rollover4.gif]

James Sanders

Ahoy Andrew,

You flipped her by yourself? Wow!
What a feat! Looking good, looking very good.

Richard_Smith

Two people can flip the Weekender with ease. I have done it a couple of times now. The bottom is glassed and I have now started preparing the top for glassing. (I think that doing the bottom might be easy compared to fibreglassing the the top.) At the end of last August I thought I might have it ready to sail this July, but I got busy and have just started working on her again this weekend. It might be ready to go by the end of this August, but then again it might not.
I flipped mine this weekend too. 2 of us did it. No problem.
Pages: 1 2