BYYB Forums

Full Version: Need ideas for the toe kick...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am getting ready to fiberglass and I need to make a decision on what to do with the toe kick area. As of right now, I have some hull side protruding ABOVE the deck, which is the look I was going for. My dilemna is that although the port side is perfect, the starboard is not. I somehow managed to install the hull side (starboard) in a way where it just meets the deck toward the middle of the boat (probably a span of 3-4 feet). On the other side (port) the hull side extends a couple inches above, which is perfect. So I am trying to figure out how I can deal with this. Anyone else have this problem? Basically, I need to figure out some toe kick options I guess. Any opinions or photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
I trimmed my sides flush with the deck and then fiberglassed around the curve to prevent cracking/leaks. I'm planning on putting blocks on the deck and then a toe rail on top of that. This gives me "scuppers" that will drain the water from the deck and easy places to tie off fendors etc.

Sorry - no pictures although I remember seeing another weekender done like that a number of years ago.
I'll ditto Andrew's remarks. Sealing the deck down to the hull with 'glass is a good idea and will prevent leaks. A toe rail or bulwark should be attached atop the deck and have scuppers to drain boarding water off the deck quickly. Grind both sides flush and add a touch of round over, to make the transition from deck to side planking easy for the cloth. Add your toe rail after you've sealed the hull proper.
I think you are both right. I looked at a bunch of builder's photos, and all of them have done it the way you suggested and it looks good. I guess the hull has enough of a "sweeping" look to it without hull sides protruding above the deck. I kinda like the "winged" look of the protruding hull sides....but not practical for glassing I guess.

I kind of did the seat backs the same way....the seat backs protrude above the deck, much like the hull sides. It looks great and eliminates the need for splashcombing, but now I am concerned it may not look right since the hull sides will be trimmed down and more importantly, I am wondering how the fiberglassing will go over it. I've never glassed, maybe it is not an issue? If someone thinks it will be difficult or possibility for delamination, I will grind it down to deck level and put splashcombing on. Any further advice is deeply appreciated.
Okay... I thought about it some more.... I will be cutting the seat backs flush with deck also and installing splash combing.....

Larry Thomas

I had the same problem with the sides, but much prefer the flush sides. My seat backs were about the same. Instead of cutting them, I added quarter round to the back. It gives it a comfortable hand hold.
Thanks for all the input...I also do prefer the hull sides flush with the deck. Looks good.