BYYB Forums

Full Version: Price difference question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Ryan_Martori

I was wondering about how much it costs to build each of the 3 boats

trying to come up with a plan for saving up to build one.

was thinking vacationer

I wanted one that I could make look very pirate like think it would be great not just to sail it around dunedin but to take it to the various pirate faires to show off.
That sound like a plan, Arrr, it does. The price depend on the choices opf materials and the level of finish desired. PAR can better talk to the relative cost of the diffrent sizes. 8)
The cost of any build is directly related with two things, displacement and level of finish. Vacationer being the biggest, will require the most materials, build time and has larger surfaces to finish.

Specific prices can vary quite a bit. Even the low buck route can dramatically differ, depending on where you get materials, supplies and purchasing habits. Vacationer will be about twice the cost of a Weekender, if both have similar quality materials and finish. Vacationer is a pretty ambitious build for the first boat building project on a limited budget. Many have been done as a first build, but far many more have been started and left uncompleted and disenchanted.

If 100 stock plans are sold, maybe 20 will get purchases of materials toward the build and less then 5 will get finished. The larger the boat, the more likely it will not get carried through until launch. This is typical of all home built craft, not just Stevenson designs and is especially true of low cost or free plan sets.

I just sold a plan set for my Lass design [Image: 2040RYD-Lass.jpg] to a fellow in Australia for 1,400 bucks. It's a substantial vessel (34' on deck) and the plans are very complete. With an investment such as that, it'll likely be built (this will be the third build of this design). A 50 dollar set of plans is little lost, in the big picture of things, so you don't feel bad if they sit on the coffee table for several years. For those that think $1,400 bucks is a steep price for a set of plans, consider the percentage of value. The boat weighs around 12,000 pounds and at $20 a pound will cost a quarter of a million to construct. This works out to be about 1/2 of a percent of the build cost and very reasonable. Most designers charge 3 to 6% of the value of the boat for a set of plans, so now it's looking like a real deal.

This said, a low buck Vacationer can be built for a little more then a well finished, good materials Weekender. Skill levels, and purchasing habits play a big role. Shopping around and buying in bulk can save big bucks. I just bought some lead the other day, having done so many times in the past. I get my lead from a local gun shop as #4 shot in 50 pound bags. It's easy to melt the pellets, easy to control how much lead you need and has the added benefit, of being easily mixed with epoxy and poured in a slurry into a mold, without the need of melting it. I can't get a 700 pound cubic foot this way, but I only use the epoxy and bird shot method for weighting dagger/centerboards, rudders or other small weight uses, where it's an ideal technique.

This is the skill level (experience) and buying habits I mentioned. I get the lead at near wholesale and use a technique that is fast and doesn't require the traditional melting process.

A beginning builder will have to develop these abilities. This (and other forums) board is a good place to pick up tips to save you some money, time and heartache, plus a fine place to cry over the latest setback, screw up or frustration you've encountered.

Welcome aboard Ryan.

John Kocher

Ryan,

I just finished a Vacationer this spring, taking 2 years to build it (could have done it in one but sometimes life gets in the way!). It cost me around $4000. I built using douglas fir for the keel, stringers, rubrails, etc, purchased marine grade plywood and 6 oz fiberglass cloth and used RAKA epoxy to hold it all together. I also put together my own sails with a PolySail kit (uses polytarp) which so far has worked out well for me and saved a pretty big chunk of change. The price doesn't include cost of the trailor, outboard, safety equipment, etc, it is just the cost of the materials for the boat itself.

Good luck with whichever design you decide to go with.

John k.

Ryan_Martori

thanks I'll start figuring out my budget soon.

although i leanred I should never goto islands of adventure when I'm in a thinking mood. Port of entry kept giving me odd ideas for things I'd want to do, mostly just odd artistic lineing to certain parts, and an odd cloth overhang to the portholes for some odd freaking reason. (I'm very eccentric sometimes hah)

but your right vacationer might be abit much, in that case maybe I'll go weekender or pocket cruiser... when I first read all three I leaned towards the pocket cruiser, I just wish tehre was something I could do to make it look more piraty or old style.

just hope it's enough room for my plans I could always fake everything else.

DavidGale

I just calculated my total costs for my weekender to be $5700 and this includes the trailer, the shed I built it under and the tools which I didn't have and needed to buy. Every scrap of anythign related to be boat is wrapped up in that price.

The finish details were where the costs really soared. Harken blocks were pricey at $12 for single blocks and $28 for doubles. I was at $3700 before I begain major finish work.

The second one would cost me much less.

In the begining i built it by spending $100 a week and working with what I was able to buy that week. I made lists of the things I needed and ONLY bought what was on my list. It was only when I started impulse buying that I got into trouble.

I'm interested to see what others paid for start-to-finish boat builds.

If you are interested in a general breakdown of where all that money went. I Have a text file I can email you. or post here. Let me know if you would like to see it.

Casey_McGovern

Where are you Ryan? I'm hoping to start a vacationer soon myself, doing something like the aforementioned 100/week thing. I am quite concerned with piratey-ness also. Up here in the seattle area we are low on pirates, only get them once a year at seafair.

Ryan_Martori

I live in florida, the dunedin/tampa bay area.
4k-about 6k for a Vactioner is probably a good range. Don't forget sails trailer, saftey equip and all the other bells and whistles when you plan your budget.

I still have a great Vac. for sale that I am dying to get out of my drive to make rrom for my newest boat. Very sound and well built, just ready for your personal touches. Ok it is a bold faced sales pitch sorry. Good luck on your build Big Grin

Jim

Ryan_Martori

Paul, if I ever find myself with enough money to spare and I find I'm skilled enough after starting one of these small pocket yachts I would defiently buy those plans.

well I'd kindof want to see if I could find plans for xebec or junk style sails but that is a beautiful ship design.

does anyone know if there are any plans for different sail types for the pocket yachts?
Pages: 1 2