BYYB Forums

Full Version: intro duction and boat law question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Ryan_Martori

Hi my name is Ryan I am new to boat building and sailing, I decided to of course start by building a small mini cup and then save up to build a pocket yacht(thinking Vacationer)

Anyways before I actually ask question about building. I have been wondering about boat laws. I have been searching but can't find anything clear abotu registration and boater's liscenses and such, the only thing I found only applied if the boat had a motor.

And one of my friends mentioned that there are laws in regards to how you can paint a boat which is why all boats that you can buy are white.

and last question(till my absentminded brain remembers more)

About how much does it cost to build a mini cup? (I was probably going to jsut use acx plywood)

hope you guys can help.

thank you
Welcome Aboard Ryan.
I think the law is, if You dont have a motor you dont have to register the boat.
As far as color You can paint Your boat any color You want too, I am painting My Vacationer Black, and have seen plenty of differant colored boats (especially around here).
Post some pictures of your build as You go along.
Good luck with Your build.
Brian.
Not sure about your state, but Tennessee requires sail powered boats to also be registered. We have to get an HIN (hull identification number) and register the boat. Don't know anything about the color thing, there's nothing in our reg's about it. I recommend that you check your state's regulatory agency. In Tennessee, that's the Tennessee Wildlife Resources agency. Google {state} boating regulations and it should pop up.

kenconnors

RI sailboats have to be registered also. No way in hell those thieves are going to miss out on that tax income. We have no laws on color either, but my grand father did. After he had us scrape and sand and recaulk, we'd ask him what color he wanted it painted. He'd say "I don't care what color you paint it, as long as it's green" :roll:

Ryan_Martori

.....well I'm out of it, I forgot to mention my state is Florida lol thanks for your help

DavidGale

my state is florida also, I had a registration inspection today.. More in a seperate topic.

kenconnors

"registration inspection"? RI doesnt inspect it, they just want the check :?
The law in Florida reads "any vessel, propelled by any motor" must be registered. Sails are not considered a motor. Any vessel (no motor) under 16' doesn't need registration. What can hang you, is the inspector being a jerk. Weekender is under 16' on deck, but it's sprit makes it over. Technically, it's under 16' so exempt, if no motor is present, but some inspectors may consider the sprit as part of the boat's length, which makes it registerable.

Do yourself a favor and get it registered anyway. If a marine patrol floats past you and doesn't see the "FL" numbers on your boat he'll stop you anyway. This will then involve a PFD check and other requirements, which you may or may not have with you that day, resulting in a ticket. If the "FL" stickers are there (and current) they just blast past you and look for someone else to hassle.

The only people they will not bother are folks in canoes and kayaks.

kenconnors

Can't you take the sprit off before inspection, or take out the bolt and tap it back til its under 16 ft?
I florida all you have to do is get the Marine Patrol to inspect the boat. He will fill out a form that you take to the DMV and get a title and a hull number. Registration is an option with no motor. As Paul says pay the $23 bucks and get the numbers. That way you are covered come what ever.
Pages: 1 2