BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender Trailer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been quite a while since I've posted, but my Weekender is now upside down with her last coat of paint drying. I figure I should be in the water by August, so I've started to think about some of my other needs like a boat trailer.
I found this one on Craigslist. I'm just not sure that it is big enough.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/boa/355088859.html

I called the guy and he said the trailer is 12' 6" long but that he could add a 4' tongue extension.

I will be bringing her on the highways so I don't want to skimp too much but she really isn't that heavy so I thought this might work.

Any thoughts?

Steven Goodman
Building "Isla"

DavidGale

I just went through the whole trailer thing last month Smile That one on craigslist looks like the trailers available as a kit through harbor freight tool catalog. Their prices seem lower than the price on craigstlist. Here is a link

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...&Submit=Go

You might keep looking if you're going to put it in salt water because it will rust away pretty quickly.

You might keep looking if you don't have easy access to rollers and a winch. They'll add another $50 to $100 to the cost.

The extension might be not be needed if your car is low enough to fit under the bow sprit.

Casey_McGovern

You mention it will rust away. What material SHOULD it be? Stainless steel?

DavidGale

Galvanized trailers last me 5-10 years with my johnboat in florida using it about once a week.

Painted trailers last me 2 years with the same use. I can usually repair them and get another year out of them or two out of them.

Aluminum trailers will last the longest. I don't know how long Smile My jonboat is 30 years old and it's aluminum.

A stainless trailer? Do they make such a thing? It would sure be pretty!

Richard_Creel

The one at Harbor Freight is only 600 lb capacity.
Harbor Freight boat trailer:
[Image: 05002.gif]

This doesn't look like the same one:
[Image: 010108010102010405200706184b6f394597f681b78b00de01.jpg]

Steve Cherry

I just noticed your post about boat trailers. My advice is, You get what you pay for!. I bought a drill and belt sander from Harbor Freight to use on my weekender, hoping they would last until the boat was done; the drill still works, but the sander died last week. Harbor freight stuff is cheaper for a reason. If you only have to transport your boat a few miles to the water and don't ever plan on making long trips with it, a Harbor Freight trailer might do. Think first of your safety on the road, your family's safety and the safety of other drivers. Just a thought. Good Luck.
I would look for a good used boat trailer. There are plenty out there for sale. You might even find one with a boat on it that you can make a flower bed out of Big Grin Most of the stuff I've seen from Harbor Fright is on the cheap side made in China. Keep looking

Keith

Richard_Smith

If you come across a decent trailer, please post as i am going to be looking for one shortly. My boat should be ready to paint in about a week.